Chapter 8

Just because she had agreed to go through with the procedure didn't mean Pidge was happy about it. She glared upwards at the others, still mad. How could they have let Lance do that? How could she live not knowing what was going to happen to him?

"Matt," she pleaded, looking up at him with hurt eyes. They were just about to put the anesthesia in, then it would all be over. He patted her shoulder, and she let out a sigh before closing her eyes and looking away.

As soon as the anesthesia started to kick in, she began to think about everything that had happened...

"Lance," she called out, haunted by the vision of him looking back at her as he walked down the halls. Another flash and they were back on the Galra ship, prisoners. Ezor and Zethrid were there, staring down at them with bloodthirsty eyes.

"You," Zethrid hissed. "I bet half my fleet this group of heroes has a soft spot for the small one." 

Pidge moved restlessly in her sleep.

"We may have to increase the dose," one of the doctors said.

Pidge's mind flashed back and forth. Ezor stepped forwards, ready to grab her when Lance ran forwards and cried out, "Don't you touch her!"

Even now, those words echoed in her ears. The power, the raw emotion as he lunged himself at Ezor to stop her from hurting Pidge...

Pidge suddenly flashed awake. "The machine is wrong," she mumbled out. Allura, who had decided to stay with Pidge, gave her a confused look. "You-you don't understand," Pidge insisted, fighting against the anesthesia. "We lied. We didn't even know we were lying. Please," she begged. She felt sleepy as if she would slip away any minute now. Then, it would be too late to fix this mess.