Introduction

The clock strikes at nine, it made a beeping sound that eradicated the smile on Chiaki's face.

Panic manifested itself and marked her eyes its home.

Nagito read the distress she's personifying, it was an opposition to the impression she first gave and that's nonchalance and inaction so what's alarming her? Is it my hands? Am I too much? Is that why she seemed horrified because she finally realized I'm not worth it and holding my hand will make hers dirty?

Nagito felt the urge to let go of her hands but at the same time, anxious about her possible reaction... she might feel offended and he can't have that!

But it seems all his worries were a waste because it was Chiaki who let go of his hands, the pleasant feeling of security was gone in a bliss.

He was disappointed and sought for more intimacy but he veiled it from view, releasing an artificial smile.

Chiaki, on the other hand, seemed to have arrived in serenity.

She blew a harsh breath, emitting the unconventional emotion she felt.

The radiance in her pink eyes returned and waves of calmness enveloped her, Nagito's crestfallen heart was obliterated by her... mesmeric bright.

"We're late." A simple set of three words but enough to make the fanatic's heart drop.

It was said calmly as if the Ultimate in front was unworried.

He wasn't.

He's panicking now!

Chiaki also panicked but was swift to sweep it away under the rug of passivity.

No harm will fall upon them if it's only for the first time, right?

He tilted his head, angling his viewpoint to the ground; visibly disappointed at the turnabout of the events.

All his efforts to secure a day full of hope and sunshine collapsed in one-go. Bad luck has yet again dethroned his happiness.

Could this be the payment for earning a friend?

"Man, to think that I'd be late for my first day is bad luck. Wrong timing, though. It should have struck after class so I'll be able to enjoy this special day with a carefree heart."

Chiaki's peaceful heart was swayed to pity, her eyes softened at the sight of a saddened boy.

He seemed so excited for a first start at Hope's Peak, she, conversely, is half-hearted.

But she can't show lukewarmness in front of a hoping Ultimate.

Decided, she fetched the parked bike; placing it in front of Nagito. He watched her ride the bike, is she leaving?

But unexpectedly, she tapped the vacant seat behind her.

Her eyes shone brightly and could potentially rival the sunlight.

She wore no smile on her face, it was blank, almost austere but her eyes told otherwise.

Nagito could feel his mouth, opening in awe. She glimmered like an angel, meant to show him... a new perception of life.

"There's no checkpoint in life like how it is in games, I wish there was so we could go back in time and arrive earlier but all we could at least do is to pedal fast and hope that we win third place. Maybe... I can put my knowledge into good use. This could be a great practice in case I found a new racing game to play."

Nagito was thankful, it was a relief to know that she won't leave... after forming a friendship with him, that'd be quite rude.

He rode the bike with ease but halted, "Where should I hang onto?"