4. Of schemes with dreams

A.N : i'm so sorry you all for the late updates but i haven't abandoned this story. not so soon

It was the night of the grand opera. All of the town's nobility had arrived in their immaculate grandeur. The Queen was in attendance as well accompanied by her hand maidens and assistant.

Hayley had arrived with Lily as well. As she entered the auditorium, her eyes locked at the Queen having an exchange of words with Lady Tessa. She was ashamed because she knew that she had proved the Queen wrong. Terrified of facing Her Majesty, she took a swift turn but to her dismay, she was stopped by Lily grabbing ahold of her arm. "Let's greet the Queen, dearest". Before Hayley could retort, they were facing the Queen. Both Hayley and Lily curtseyed and muttered a soft yet distinct "Good evening, Your Majesty". The Queen scoffed at them as she was displeased with Hayley and left their proximity with the queen's maids throwing jabs of insults at Hayley. Grieved, Hayley looked down and Lily gently patted her daughter's back in a comforting manner. Hayley managed to put a small smile on her face and looked at her mother. On looking up, she saw Lord Tristan staring at her with the same lustful eyes from the night of the Ford Ball. She shivered out of fear under his gaze. Soon enough unexpectedly, he started marching towards her. She shivered more and prayed silently for someone to rescue her from this. Seemed like the God had heard her when she heard Lady Ford call for her and Lily. She took a breath of relief and followed Lady Ford to her box.

The show commenced. A certain blonde soprano began belting beautiful notes. Hayley knew who she was. Hayley knew of her brother Damon's affair with Alexia. Honestly, Hayley was quite the open minded young lady unlike most residing within the perimeters of Mayfair. She truthfully didn't object her eldest brother or for that matter any of her siblings marrying into the lower class. She always thought that it was love that was most vital and that it would triumph all the obstacles. But after Damon's rather harsh and irrevocable announcement yesterday,  it seemed unattainable to her. Love seemed unattainable to her.

Beside Hayley,  a stressed and worried Lily about her daughter's fate was sharing her agony with Lady Ford. "My heart breaks for my poor daughter. All that fame about being the season's incomparable just dissolved overnight. All because of my stuck up son. It's not true what they're saying about my Hayley. My daughter is anything but incompetent and undesirable, Tessa". Lily spoke out exasperated and let out a deep sigh. Lady Ford nodded in agreement before adding, "Lily, believe me as shocking as it sounds I happen to share your current state of distress too. Seems like both your daughter and my godson, the Duke of Hastings that is have misinformation about themselves being written and spread. A rake, through and through and that he has no intentions of marrying. It's rather infuriating". Lady Ford poured out as well. "Well it seems like Hayley and the duke have something in common". Lily said nonchalantly without much  thought. The first instict of Tessa's was to nod in agreement but in the very next moment, an idea was born in that genius mind of hers. She smirked to herself lightly before turning to Lily. "Common enough to provide a ground for them to bond, Lily ?". Tessa asked this rhetorical question with the smirk never lifting off her face. Lily, a smart woman herself was quick to decipher it. A smirk found it's way to Lily's face and she answered,  "Ample indeed, Tessa". Tessa flashed a victorious smile and added on, "The duke is very fond of gooseberry pie I hear". "The very dish my chef is renowned for. Tomorrow night would be perfect to have the duke over for dinner", Lily said happily. Tessa smiled and added on, "Perfect indeed". "Convey my most sincere invitation to the duke, will you ?". Lily mockingly asked and Tessa played along and replied, "Consider it done". Both smiled, satisfied and the opera went on for the remaining time.

Next night

It was the night after the opera at the household of the Marshall. The entire family was seated at the table in the dining hall. Lily at one head and Damon on the other, Klaus on Lily's left and Hayley on his left and Elena on Hayley's left. On the opposite side, Stefan was on Lily's right, Enzo on his and then Katherine on Enzo's. Each Marshall sibling except for Damon and Hayley were chatting among themselves. Their regular bickering and bantering and debates. Damon sat trying to discern the entire situation with a straight face and Hayley was displeased having found herself seated beside the arrogant duke who unfortunately happened to be her eldest brother's friend. She, being the graceful lady that she is veiled her mood and silently munched on the delicacies. Lily took in the chattering of her kids and suddenly looked at Klaus and said, "You must forgive this rather unruly debate, your grace". Klaus slightly shot her a genuine smile and said, "Nonsense, I find it interesting". Lily chuckled lowly and added, "Perhaps you should join us more often, when we travel to our country seat". Before Klaus could reply, his attention was captured by Lily kindly asking Elena and Katherine who were seated opposite each other to save their gossips for later. Elena and Katherine obliged and spoke in a low voice to each other. "He has a presence about him". Katherine said referring to Klaus. Elena scoffed slightly before leaning to her sister slightly and said, "yeah, if rakish dukes were one thing", sarcasm lacing her voice. Elena smirked at her own remark and Katherine just rolled her eyes at her sister.