13. I Own You

One month later

The empire of Diego Hernandez is now Gabi Lopez's property. To make it known, I organized a party a few days after my rise to power and invited all of the collaborators, allies and friends that wanted to say goodbye to the old boss and welcome me.

Even before that, I cut every connection with Quintero. Strangely, he didn't try to kill me yet, even though apparently moving my merch makes 30% of his whole business. I didn't meet him ever again after he killed my friend, my boyfriend, and burned down pretty much everything I've ever loved. Today, I'll see him for the first time after he destroyed my life and let me build a castle on someone else's ruins.

He's the one that requested the meeting, and I couldn't refuse. Curiosity killed me when his spokesman showed up. I expected a hitman, but I was pleased to know that he chose to be civil. Other reasons two show up are that Quintero would have killed me already if he wanted to, and he wouldn't have invited me to his house to waste time with complaints or apologies. He wants something from me, and he's going to talk about it as an offer, like all the respectable businessmen.

When I walk into his new mansion in Tijuana, my guards are asked to wait for me outside. I don't even stop to wonder why, I don't care because I have a gun and nobody asks me if I have weapons, and so I follow Quintero's guards to a large living room.

They close the door behind me as I look at the man giving me his back, smoking in front of the tall windows going up to the ceiling. His blond hair is perfectly gelled back on his head, his body shape doesn't seem to have suffered stress and his muscles still stretch the tissues of his clothes.

Finally, he turns, his mouth set in a hard line. "Thanks for coming."

"Why am I here?" I ask, sitting on one of the couches.

Carlos comes to sit in front of me. "It would be better for your activity to receive my help. Even as enemies, we can be very useful to each other. Mixing business and feelings is never a good idea."

"Yeah. About that, I heard that your wife left with the kids. Apparently, she heard that you're getting weak in the market since we cut the bridges." I laugh in his face, wishing I had something to drink to relax a little. He's the man that took everything for me, and no matter how much time passes, my hate for him won't ever fade.

"I have an offer for you." Quintero finally reveals his card.

"That's great for you. But please, be fast with your explanation. I have an important appointment in an hour," I say.

The beast clenches his jaw, but still remains calm in front of the new queen of drugs. "I will let you keep up to 50% of the income for every load of your merch every time I ship it to the new Italian market. I'm the only one with the right connections in that country."

I giggle and bend over to reach his ear. "I came here just to see how desperate you are without me. I want 80% of the earnings, and you'll start shipping my cocaine tomorrow." I stand up, ready to go, but Quintero grabs my arm.

"Who do you think you are?"

"I'm the ones that won't let you fall, Carlos. Nobody's afraid of you anymore. Now get your hands off of me," I growl, pulling my arm away from him. I'll have to take a long bath with Navarro to feel pure again.

"I don't need you," Carlos says. But even he doesn't believe in his own words.

"Bitch, I own you," I spit on his lips, then walking away with a smile.