4.

"How did you find the Book Key, anyway?"

Bode and Haley were now trying to find more keys, walking to the kitchen when he got curious. The echo told him the keys would whisper at them to be found. How come Haley found one if she couldn't hear the whispering?

Haley contemplated his question as she tried to remember how she found the Book Key in the first place.

Before she could explain though, a pulsing light guided her toward the sink. Neither of the siblings noticed one another as they stopped in front of the sink. Bode had followed the whispering as Haley a light.

They exchanged a surprised look.

Bode rolled up his sleeves, putting his arm in the drain, suddenly feeling something metal, glancing at Haley, nodding. He pulled out his now dirty arm which Haley scrunched her nose at, giving him a handful of napkins which Bode used to clean off the key he found, both looking down to it to examine it.

The key had two faces and a mirror on it.

They exchanged a look.

~8~

Bode lead the way to the Well House, glancing at Haley who eyed the Well house apprehensively, shining a flashlight to it.

He didn't need it to see as he had come there before but it was for Haley's benefit in case he talked to her. She couldn't read lips in the dark, could she?

"Wait here" Bode told her, squinting his eyes as the light blinded him but as long as Haley was with him in this, he didn't mind. "I don't think you'd be able to talk to her anyway. She's way down in the Well. I don't think you'd be able to read her lips"

Haley nodded in understanding, watching Bode going through the bars, getting as close as she could, gripping the bars, flashlight pointing toward where she saw Bode leaning over the well.

Bode called out, "Echo, I'm back!"

Inside the well, the voice of a woman echoed toward Bode "Did you find any keys?"

"I found that Anywhere Key you told me about" Bode told her, "But it only worked for me, not Kinsey. She couldn't go to the Eiffel Tower. And then my sister Haley found a Book Key"

The Echo seemed slightly interested, "That one is very interesting. How did your sister find it?"

Bode glanced over his shoulder at Haley who was looking at him in curiosity and worry. "That's what I was wondering"

"She didn't hear the keys whispering?" the Echo seemed very interesting on that.

Bode hesitated. On one hand he wanted to know but on the other, he didn't want to talk to his Echo about his deaf sister. What if the information about his family he gave got them in trouble?

"How come the Anywhere Key didn't work with Kinsey?" Bode asked instead of answering.

The woman of the Well, sitting on the ground chuckled to herself as the little boy ignored her question. She'd get back to that later. "Have you ever seen a door at the Eiffel Tower?"

"No" Bode answered.

"To travel through a door, you have to have seen it" The woman explained.

"Makes sense, I suppose" Bode said slowly. It'd explain why the Key worked with Haley. They both knew the door to their home in Seattle. "You know a lot of stuff about me, but I don't know anything about you"

"Well, we're friends, Bode" the woman called out to him, cheerfully. "So I can tell you anything you wanna know"

"Bode" Both Bode and the woman looked up at the crack on Haley's voice. This also the first time the woman heard the girl's voice.