3.

Haley had never considered herself someone popular. She did have a group of friends she could sit with. They weren't really her friends but at least she got along with them enough for them to save her a seat.

New school meant she had no group of friends to sit with, but she also didn't want to hide like Kinsey did.

No, Haley wasn't a coward to sit alone in the cafeteria. She felt she was brave enough to sit alone and handle the judgment.

The good thing is that she didn't hear people judging her and if she kept her eyes on her food she didn't see people looking at her with pity.

Yeah, that was a new one. Pity that her dad died. Pity that she was deaf. Pity that she was alone.

Fuck pity.

Haley didn't need it. She didn't need people pitying her. She had her family to do that.

However, someone didn't pity her as this girl stood in front Haley, having called her a few times already. She thought she was ignoring her.

She slightly slammed her food tray in front of the girl, surprised by the lack of a flinch. Haley simply glanced at the tray, lazily moving her eyes up toward the girl in front of her.

"Ive been calling you" The girl said as if offended "You're ignoring me" Haley internally chuckled, giving her a fake confused look, remaining silent. The girl stared at Haley awkwardly, seeing she was getting unwanted attention to herself and the Locke girl. She slowly sat, completely aware Haley hadn't invited her to sit. "I'm Liza. Um, I was told by the principal I was supposed to meet you for tutoring and stuff"

Haley tried to read her lips, but she was almost rambling. She shot a hand to reach Liza's hand, stopping her. She then pointed at her ear and then shook her head, smiling sheepishly.

Liza's eyes widened in realization.

"I'm so sorry" Liza signed to Haley, shocking the girl completely. "I'm Liza"

Slowly, Liza spelled her name with her fingers.

Liza. Haley looked relieved to know the girl's name, finger-spelling her own name.

It felt odd, but a nice odd being able to communicate this way. A genuine smile lit her face as Liza talked to her. She wasn't that good at signing but Haley understood her quite a lot.

Liza had learned sign language as an online curricular activity in the summer. She didn't have a signed name for herself, considering she hadn't been taught by deaf people. Only deaf people could 'sign' others, specially those learning.

Haley felt determined to get to know Liza to give her her signed name. She had done so for her family members and she would love to do it to Liza.

~8 ~

After school, Haley and Kinsey arrived home together.

Kinsey was pleasantly surprised to see a bright smile on her younger sister's face, one which hadn't faded since they left the school. Kinsey immediately went to her room, freezing.

Haley waved at her sister, shrugging off her winter coat, still smiling brightly. Liza was great. Finally, after three months of feeling lonely and unheard, Haley felt understood. She wanted Liza to actually become her friend, help her read and act the books she read.

With that thought in mind, she dropped her backpack on the living room and walked to the room Uncle Duncan told them were different books. She wanted to try something different. Her dad had helped her for months with a book, but she didn't feel like reading that one yet without him.