Chapter 4

It turned out that Evelynn needn't have worried. Harry had come back from the trial with practically no consequences, because Dumbledore had shown up to help defend him. Apparently the Ministry hadn't realized that dementors were involved, because once Harry explained the danger, the Wizengamot had been impressed that he could even produce a Patronus in the first place and let him off due to it being a life-threatening situation.

They'd barely had a chance to breathe though, because Mrs. Weasley hounded them all day to pack their trunks and double- and triple-check they had everything they needed, then made everyone go to bed early so they wouldn't miss the train the next day. Then they'd been woken up much earlier than they wanted, put through another sweep of the house for any belongings that disappeared last minute, and were hurried out of the building to King's Cross Station.

Moody had decided that it was safer to walk through the station in spread-out groups, rather than one large one, in the hopes that they'd be less recognizable, although they all remained in sight of each other. Evelynn was paired up with Hermione, carrying Crookshanks' carrier, when a large black dog brushed against her arm and nudged her hand, then trotted forward to walk next to Harry.

"Padfoot, are you barking mad?" Moody demanded lowly. "You'll blow the whole operation."

Evelynn had flinched a little when Sirius passed her because the plan was supposed to be for him to stay behind, but now she was craning her neck, trying to see where he'd disappeared to amongst the crowds. She could see Harry doing the same thing.

"Evelynn." Hermione touched her arm, then held out her hand. "Go on, I know you want to see him."

Evelynn beamed at her. "You're the best Hermione." She quickly handed over the carrier before hurrying to catch up to Harry, who'd had the same idea as her. "Did you see where he went?"

"In here." He led the way down some stairs and into a waiting room that was encased with frosted windows. "Sirius, what are you doing here? If somebody sees you..."

"I had to see you two off, didn't I? What's life without a little risk?" Sirius waved them over to a row of seats, sitting down with them on either side of him.

"We don't want to see you get shut back in Azkaban," Evelynn explained.

Sirius had no such concern. "Oh, don't worry about me. Anyway..." He pulled something out of his pocket, unfolding it carefully. "I wanted you both to have this."

'This' was an old black and white photograph of about twenty people, all smiling at the camera. Evelynn spotted Hagrid easily, standing a full head taller than everyone else, along with Dumbledore and Moody.

"Original Order of the Phoenix." Sirius began pointing out people they didn't know, naming them off as he went. "Marlene McKinnon- she was killed two weeks after this was taken. Voldemort wiped out her entire family. That's Frank and Alice Longbottom."

"Neville's parents."

"They suffered a fate worse than death, if you ask me." Evelynn leaned against Sirius's arm, reaching out to lightly touch the picture, where she'd just noticed Lily and James standing side by side in the front. Sirius' voice was gentle as he said, "It's been fourteen years, and still a day doesn't go by I don't miss your parents."

Harry pulled the picture into his lap, staring at it a bit longer. "Do you really think there's going to be a war, Sirius?"

There was a small hesitation before Sirius nodded. "It feels like it did before." Harry tried to hand the photograph back to him, but he pushed it away. "You keep it. Anyway, I suppose you're the young ones now." He wrapped an arm around each of their shoulders, pulling them close.