Chapter 6

Evelynn wasn't really that excited for the first Defense class of the year. It always seemed to be hit or miss on how it would turn out, and while she didn't mind the class itself, she wasn't sure how she felt about Umbridge being the one to teach it.

She watched in amusement as one of the Patil twins sent a paper bird flying around the classroom. It swirled around and flew over Hermione's head, who didn't even notice because she was already in conversation with the Ravenclaw in front of them, and stayed just out of Seamus' reach when he aimed a hit. It fluttered up to the chandelier, evading a projectile from Crabbe's slingshot, only to abruptly burst into flames and sink back down onto the twins' desk.

"Good morning, children."

Evelynn leaned backward in her seat to see around Hermione, looking toward the door of the classroom like everyone else. Umbridge stood at the classroom door with her wand raised. She pointed it at the blackboard, writing appearing on it as she spoke. "Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations. O-W-L's. More commonly known as OWLs."

"We know what they are, we're not idiots," Evelynn whispered to Hermione. Hermione elbowed her sharply. 

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." Umbridge flicked her wand, and the piles of books on the table behind her started making their way down the aisles, one book dropping in front of each student. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

Evelynn stared down at the book. Dark Arts Defense: Basics for Beginners. Umbridge wasn't serious, right? This was the level of knowledge that was supposed to help them pass their OWLs?

Hermione's hand shot up next to her. 

"Yes?" 

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells."

"Using spells?" Umbridge giggled. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?" 

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"Well, what use is that?" Harry blurted out. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be risk-free."

Umbridge turned her back, blatantly ignoring Harry. "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," she declared. At the front of the classroom again, she turned to face them, her sickening;ly sweet smile back on her face. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which, after all, is what school is all about."

Evelynn half-heartedly put her hand up, not really expecting Umbridge to acknowledge her. But she did. "Miss Potter?"

"Professor McGonagall says that practical application is one of the best ways to learn, because being able to feel the connection to the spell can be just as helpful as knowing the theory of it."

Umbridge didn't quite bristle. But she straightened up as much as she could and put her shoulders back, her smile firmly in place. "I'm sure Professor McGonagall has quite the experience in her field of teaching, but as this is my class, I suggest you follow my instructions instead."

She looked ready to move on with the conversation until Harry interrupted her. "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children, like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe Lord Voldemort."

The room broke into hushed whispers. Hermione glanced over at Harry in warning, while Evelynn watched Umbridge fight to regain her composure. "Now, let me make this... quite plain. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This... is... a... lie."

"It's not a lie," Harry argued. "I saw him! I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr. Potter!" 

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident."

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him! You must know that!"

"Enough!" Umbridge practically shrieked. "Enough. See me later, Mr. Potter, my office." 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The rest of the first day went off without further incident, not counting the unfair amount of reading homework that McGonagall had already given them. Evelynn was currently ignoring the homework in favor of reading a copy of Witch Weekly she'd gotten from Ginny and struggling with a crossword. She was curled up in an armchair next to the common room fireplace while Harry sat on a couch next to her, flipping pages of a book as he searched for something. 

Evelynn glanced up when she heard Hermione's voice, obviously in the middle of a conversation as she and Ron crossed the room. "I'll do the introduction, that's all."

"Hermione, you're honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met," Ron said gratefully. "If I'm ever rude to you again..."

"I'll know you've gone back to normal," she finished, grinning. They sat down on the couch on either side of Harry, only for Hermione's smile to fade quickly. "What's wrong with your hand?"

"Nothing." He showed her.

"The other hand."

Hermione dragged his left hand out from under the book and pulled it into her lap. Evelynn finally lowered the magazine and leaned over the arm of the chair, trying to see whatever it was that Hermione was concerned about. 

There was a thin red mark on Harry's skin, looking eerily like letters.

"You have to tell Dumbledore."

"No. Dumbledore's got enough on his mind right now. Anyway, I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Umbridge did that?" Evelynn stared. "Why didn't you say anything? She can't do that, can she?"

"Bloody hell, Harry, the woman is torturing you," Ron pointed out. Evelynn tried not to flinch at the word 'torture'. "If the parents knew about this-"

"Yeah, well, I haven't got any folks, have I, Ron?"

Hermione quickly shot a glance over at Evelynn, the concern obvious in her expression. "Harry, you've got to report this. It's perfectly simple. You're being-"

Harry cut her off. "No, it's not. Hermione, whatever this is, it's not simple. You don't understand."

"Then help us to." 

But Harry was already getting up, grabbing his bag and moving around the couch so he could leave the common room. Ron watched him leave, then turned to Hermione expectantly, who looked over at Evelynn. Evelynn floundered for a second. "Don't look at me, I don't know what to do either. We can't help if he's going to push us away."

"We have to do something," Hermione argued. 

"Of course we do. But what?"

A/N: Hey everyone. I know it's been a while, and I'm sorry about that, but these last couple of months were really hectic for me. I finished my last semester of college (thank god) and finally graduated, then immediately did a two-week study abroad in Ireland, which was super exciting, and I've only just gotten back about a week ago. Hopefully things will settle down a little, and updates will be a bit more consistent. If anyone's still with this story, thanks for sticking around. Again, feel free to ask questions or comments, I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking.

~ Jace_Youre_An_Idiot