seventeen | nightime walks

"The course of true love never did run smooth."

- A Midsummer Night's Dream
(Act 1, Scene 1)

****

Confusion. Curiosity. Concern. Shock.

So many feelings and thoughts swirled around my mind. I didn't know what to do, or what to make of the whole situation. Ms Venable was definitely hiding something.

Sighing, I tried my best to keep up with the conversation between Carlson and Monica. We were sat in their living room on a Saturday afternoon. It wasn't often I went to their place but it was a change. They were talking about my birthday, which was coming up in around two weeks, much to my dread. Birthdays were not my thing. A whole day about me? No thanks.

"So what do you want to do? Maybe your mother and father will come to visit." Monica smiled, eyes shining with that usual happiness.

"No they won't. And seriously, I don't want to do anything, as you know, I hate my birthday. I just want a normal day." I leaned back on the sofa, glancing at Carlson who was frowning.

"But it's not everyday you turn eighteen.." He said quietly, not meeting my eyes, which was normal, and just part of his character.

"I know.. I just don't want a special day." I shrugged, and they finally dropped it reluctantly.

Now that the conversation had died down, my thoughts wandered back to a certain teacher, and the situation from yesterday. How was it that even through the suspicion and concern, I still managed to be drawn to her?

**

Later that night my phone pinged, and looking down at the screen, it was Valentina.

Val: hey fancy a forest night walk? karl and umar will be there?

me: at 10pm, are you mad?

val: come on! we can recreate the blair witch project ;)

me: you are absolutely out of your mind... i'll see you in 20.

I sighed, what on earth did I think I was doing, going out in the cold and dark. There was no way I could tell Monica and Carlson, they would probably flip their shit at the idea of me going out at night.

I rolled off the comfort of my bed, and pulled on my thickest coat, knowing it would be absolutely freezing.

Thirty minutes later I found myself jogging along the pavement, waving at the three figures standing near the entrance of the local forest. When I arrived, they all cheered dramatically.

"What time do you call this? I thought you weren't coming." Valentina remarked sarcastically, leading the group through the first set of trees with a huge flashlight that lit up a good five metres ahead.

"You're asking me what time it is? You're the one proposing a walk in the dead of night." I rolled my eyes then linked arms with Umar. Yes, it might sound a bit suspicious that me and Umar were linking arms, but we had become close friends, he respected I wasn't into him, and also he was interested in another girl now.

"Damn I didn't think it would be this spooky." He mumbled, pulling up the collar of his puffer jacket and looking around nervously.

"Aw, is a big boy like you scared." I teased, pinching his arm, to which he nudged me playfully in response. "Where are we even going?"