two | the first day

"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall"

- Measure For Measure
(Act 2, Scene 1)

****

Unlike the day before, it was bucketing it down outside. It'd been so sunny and warm, but I'd been awoken by the sound of my alarm joint with the harsh pattering on the windows and roof. Rain had always been a comfort to me, but today was different, the first day of school was already doomed.

With a huge and probably over dramatic sigh, I flung the duvet off me, swinging my legs over the bed. Cold air immediately hit my body, causing me to groan as I steadied myself on my feet. The first thing I did was grab the thickest, fluffiest gown I could find, wrapping it around my body, then slipping on socks before making my way downstairs, phone in hand. I'd never been much of a breakfast person, but I decided to fix myself a bowl of cereal. Halfway through eating, my phone rang as predicted, the name 'Monica' flashing up.

"Hey." I mumbled, trying to talk with a full mouth.

"Good morning, we were wondering what time you'd like us to escort you to school." Monica sounded cheery, unsurprisingly. I honestly didn't know how she did it.

"Don't, I want to go by myself, there's nothing worse than showing up at a new school with two body guard looking people in a smart looking car. No offence." A sigh escaped my lips, but a low chuckle was heard on the other end of the phone.

"None taken. I know it's uncomfortable, but you know how.. persistent your mother can be."

"Please Mon, I just want a shot at settling in." Me calling her a nickname normally softened her up, so I was glad when I heard her give in.

".. Okay fine, but you can't tell Mrs (Y/L/N)." She held a tone of seriousness, so I agreed. When we hung up I realised I hadn't sorted out an outfit yet, so I quickly ran upstairs and started rifling through my bags. Eventually I found some nice looking clothes; a grey turtle neck jumper, black straight legged jeans and finishing it off with a pair of vans and a necklace. One thing I prided myself in was my outfits. Not the designer brand parts, but putting everything together, I liked my style.

Twenty minutes later I was ready, a small backpack slung across my shoulder and texting Carson and Monica one last time before opening my umbrella and leaving the house.

The school wasn't hard to find, I'd searched up the distance and according to Google Maps it was a ten minute walk. And it didn't lie. Soon I stopped outside the gates of the building I'd seen the photographs of yesterday. There were a load of students walking in, mostly in their friendship groups, making me feel a little like an outsider, but that's what I was, so I couldn't complain. Gearing myself up with nonexistent courage, I took a deep breath, walking across the playground towards the entrance.

People bustled around, talking loudly and doing typical high school stuff. I searched around helplessly for a sign that could lead me in the right direction, and luckily I did. A sign reading 'reception' turned out to be my life saver, because it lead me to a friendly looking woman in an open office.

"Good morning lovely, I haven't seen you around, you must be new?" She smiled, finishing what she was doing on the computer.

"Yes, I'm (Y/N) (Y/L/N), I'm starting today." My eyes found a badge on the woman's shirt, revealing the her name, Mrs Peterson.

"Ah, yes, I have you written down. So, here is your timetable, the classrooms are easy to find, each block is signed, and the numbers are on the doors." She slid the timetable across the table, which I gladly picked up.