Chapter Two - Just one more fag

Troy pulled up to the school with 5 minutes to spare. He'd even managed to buy that phone Eve had been harping on and on about. At least it would keep her mind off whatever had hiked her blood pressure to nearly stroke point.

The test results would be out by now. As his mind rushed to all the possibilities a swarm of kids exited the school. A tap on his window kept his thoughts from getting any worse. Looking up he found himself looking at a woman holding his son's hand in a vice grip. He rolled down his window while unlocking the door behind the driver's seat.

"Mr Tinovenga! Thank you for coming to pick up the boys on time. Yesterday the boys were picked up late; and by a taxi, that is unacceptable." The middle-aged white woman looked pointedly at Troy.

"Yes, that was rather unfortunate." Troy's slow emphasis on every word was the only indication that he was irritated by the woman. Her floral skirt moved in the wind revealing her nude coloured knee-high stockings which were firmly strapped into her black open-toed sandals that reminded Troy of a cross between Roman gladiators and shoes reminiscent of the era of Spice Girls. Her pink blouse flapped in the wind providing some distraction.

The teacher frowned. Surely this man couldn't possibly think his wife's abandonment of the sweet boys was alright? She tried again to make him see reason and agree to put his wife straight. "It was quite irresponsible of your wife to forget them. She could've at least asked someone to take them home. Although we do not have any staff or students who live in Warren Park, something could've been arranged. The poor dears nearly froze to death."

Guilt overwhelmed Troy. If he'd read his wife's text messages yesterday he would've been with the boys in time to get her to the hospital instead of finding her in a pool of blood and finding his sons absent when he decided to get home early for once. Michael had called him to ask if his mother was okay and let his father know that he was coming home by cab. By the time the boys had gotten home the ambulance had already taken Eve to the hospital.

"Jeffrey Matthew, get in the car." Troy's voice was low and dangerously calm despite the scowl on his face. Troy spotted Michael jogging to the car as his little brother obeyed his order. Narrowing his eyes at the teacher and starting the engine Troy continued speaking in a low, calm voice. "It is unfortunate that as we speak my wife lies, hopefully conscious, in hospital. She collapsed yesterday. If I had read her text message the boys would have come home with me, on time."

Michael jumped into the car with a quick, "Hi Dad!" Troy locked the car doors and waved goodbye to the teacher who stood beet red and gawping at the retreating car.

Sensing their father's unpleasant mood the boys looked at one another and nodded a silent conversation passing between them as the houses around their school flew past. Troy caught a glimpse of his youngest son staring at the mansions they drove past almost as if committing them to memory. Troy smiled to himself and glanced at the sedan behind him in the driver's side mirror.

He mentally cursed as he realized it was his mother-in-law's car. He wasn't really in the mood for small talk. His thoughts of evading her were cut short when Michael turned in his seat and smiled widely at his younger brother.

"Jeff, it's Gram Tee behind us!" Michael exclaimed excitedly.

"Cool! Daddy, stop the car! Please?" Jeff asked pleadingly.

"Dude, there's no way Dad isn't going to stop." Michael snorted as he pulled out his cell phone from his blazer's inside pocket.

"Hey Gram Tee!... I'm fine, so is Jeff...We're on our way to see Mummy. We're going to Floribunda to get her flowers, then Honeydew's to make a fruit basket first though...okay!"