Tomorrow - Chp. 3

2008, August 7th

                        The house was near to bursting, or at least it felt that way to me even if we only had three guests. Being able to ignore Aunt Kathleen was a chore. I loved her dearly but she always managed to be wherever I was, even if what I sought was some solitude and a moment’s quiet. Beth, bless her, would be lodging at a hotel in Reading. I would rather she stayed with us, but being in my aunt’s direct path was more than enough a reason to chose other accommodations.

She wouldn’t journey here again until tomorrow and would most probably arrive late in the afternoon. Unable to take all of Friday off, she was forced to work most of the morning and at least a good portion of the afternoon before she could leave. But there were no complaints from me. She would be here and that was what was important.

Uncle was with father still. The two brothers secluded themselves in the library. He arrived only just as last night even if we expected him earlier. I hadn’t seen them all day and neither did my aunt. Perhaps that was why she was in a persnickety mood. Left alone with no one but Edith and I for company I had to assume she was bored with very little to do and no friends to have over.

            John, I suspect, was having a better time of it. All of his friends lived close enough that none felt a need to encroach on his hospitality. They could of course, but Stuart had his own house not twenty minutes away while schoolmates Geoffrey Henderson and Michael Hamper had flats in Reading’s center.

            Mrs. Thornton, I know, was still a bit cross with me for not getting all my things moved in. The stack of boxes left in the foyer had to be removed before the reception or it would give the house a shambled look. The very thought of it already sent my aunt into flutters. Other than that, it was all coming together.

            John’s mother and I seemed to have come to an understanding while I unpacked my things at the house. I knew we would still disagree on many things and probably always will. She was set in her ways and ideas, many of which were opposites of mine. But the one common source that held us together was John. In that Hannah Thornton knew I was in complete agreement with her, that there was no man better or more worthy.

            I saw no faults in him, but Fanny said I was blinded by love and she was right.

            We saw even less of each other this last week. I think John was avoiding my aunt too, but staying away was just making me irritable. Was he missing me as much I missed him? I know I missed being held in his arms, being kissed until I felt my toes were scorched by the fires he ignited in me. I just missed seeing him every second of every day. I really was gone on the man.

            When he finally arrived after dinner, I momentarily considered jumping into his arms, even with my relatives watching. What did I care about decorum and proper behavior when my fiancée had been invisible for two days.

            “God, how I’ve missed you.” I told him

            I know Edith heard me say the words if her giggles were any indication. John hugged me so tightly to him I’m certain my ribs were bruised by the force of his embrace, but it was what I wanted, what I needed and craved. We stood by the door before I heard aunt clear her throat. We certainly had an audience now.

            Taking his hand, I tried to lead him outside towards the garden. Most of the lawn had tables and chairs scattered about. The lot had been brought over by the caterer just this morning, to be set up and arranged tomorrow so all would be ready for Saturday.