Tomorrow - Epilogue

We were married two hours later. I was never so grateful for Adam Bell Hale’s connections as I was that afternoon especially when he arrived bringing with him a signed, special marriage license by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Standing in shock at first when he brought not just that paper but the rest of Margaret’s relatives, I slowly realized this had been in the planning for several days already.

I should have known from the strange behavior Nicholas had exhibited earlier in the week that something was afoot. But he was just one of the many conspirators in this grand plan to get us married. Fred was one, Uncle Adam another, but I soon found out that Nicholas had orchestrated the bulk of it and after many days of secret talks and calls, it came down to this, that we were all assembled at the church, one year later.

Kathleen Shaw, though happy for her niece, fumed at the utter lack of anything proper in this makeshift, impromptu wedding.

“You’re not even dressed for the occasion.”

She directed her tirade at the two of us and all I could do was laugh in return.

“I don’t find it funny at all, John. You’re wearing jeans.”

My answer was just to hug Margaret and give her a mind blowing kiss so she couldn’t answer. Aunt Kathleen’s enraged gasp made me kiss her niece a second time before the priest finally showed and I knew it was for real this time. I still hadn’t let Margaret go, but her uncle was suddenly there, pulling her away from me.

The teasing smile he gave made me want to snatch the woman back into my arms, but he was having none of that.

“She’s be yours soon enough, John.”

Uncle Adam actually pried my hand off her arm while escorting Margaret out of my reach.

“Come along… let’s get this wedding started shall we?”

I had to stand there and watch as he took her away. Though they went as far back at the rear of the church and I couldn’t stand the separation already. My arms felt empty. All I could think of was that Margaret was too far.

I didn’t even see Mother or Fanny magically appear at my side until one was hugging me and I had to acknowledge them.

“I’m so happy for you, darling.”

Mother was already crying. Fanny on the other hand, was giving me one of her looks. She wasn’t looking pleased at all and I couldn’t guess what she could be upset about.

“You could have at least told us, John.”

Told her what? My brain refused to comply until she mentioned the memory loss.

“Sorry, Fanny, but I wanted Margaret to be the first to know.”

When she snorted back at me, I knew I was forgiven.

There wasn’t much of a congregation there. I watched as Barry moved further down on the first pew to allow Fanny and Mother some room. Bessy and Nicholas sat behind them, the man looking all too smug while watching me at the altar. For a moment I thought he would stand up by my side, but I was there alone for a minute or two until I heard the sound of metal grating over the stone floor.

Fred’s chair was wheeled up next to me and I looked down at my almost brother-in-law, smiling sheepishly as he grinned then laughed at my shocked face. I don’t think it sunk it yet and he knew it.

“You don’t mind do you, that I made myself your best man.”

“Mind? Fred, I wouldn’t have anyone stand up with me today but you.”