Chapter One

"Jessica!" My foster mom, Josie yells, walking me up at three am.

"Yes?" I reply, groggy and tired.

"Get a glass of water for me." She yells from her bedroom.

Why she can't do this herself, I have no clue. She's closer than me.

"Yes." I hop out of bed, quietly walk to the kitchen, and turn the tap on, letting the water fill the cup.

I look at the wall clock that we keep in the kitchen, displaying time and date.

Today is March third. My birthday. I meet my mate today.

I'm werewolf, no one knows what caused us to become them, and we don't change in full moons, we shift whenever after our sixteenth birthday is, around the time we usually meet our mates. Sometimes it's earlier, sometimes people are forty.

I hand my foster mom the glass of water, she says nothing more, so I go back to bed, falling asleep.

The spring sounds of birds chirping wake me up. I sigh, getting out of bed, which I really just a mattress and a sheet, with a small pillow. Grabbing my usual clothes; consisting of band tee shirts and denim, I head to the shower, and start the water, letting it clean me up.

"Jessica! Two more minutes." A voice bangs on the door, almost breaking it.

"I'm out!" I shut the water off, towel drying my messy brown hair off.

"Fifteen minutes until school," Maurice, my foster brother tells. "You better be ready in ten."

I sigh, opening the door, walking away from his bulky figure, to the kitchen, where I grab a nutra-grain bar.

"I am." I call back to him.

"Let's go." He grabs me by the head of my hair, pulling me out the door, into his car, forcing me in the backseat, so his buddies can sit in the front.

I'm fine with it; I just wish they'd leave me alone, about my parents dying, about my brother being killed.

I only survived because I wasn't there.

Maurice picks up his ugly friend Chase, who's the worst of them. I sink lower into my seat, but I know he can smell my shampoo.

"Hey Jessica, trying to hide like your brother did? That's how he died,"

I swallow the bile rising in my throat.

"IM TALKING TO YOU," He grabs my knee, but I ignore it, looking out the window instead, focusing on the street. "Hey!" Chase yells.
"Hey is for horses. Straw is cheaper, grass is free. You're ugly, so you eat all three."

Maurice stops the car, at his other friend, Mason's house. "Get out. You did not disrespect your future beta."

I flip both off, getting out of his car, grabbing his spare keys he keeps in the foyer out of my pocket, keying the car.

Maurice and Chase get out of the car, looking pissed, when suddenly Mason, his blonde hair styled up looking messy, his green eyes shining, comes out of his pack home.

"Hey guys, what-" he stops mid sentence.

Chase starts laughing. "Tell me you're not mates with her."

"Not anymore. I Mason Bradley Roth reject you, Jessica Parker as my mate."

I smile, laughing like an insane maniac instead of crying, taking a step towards him. "I Jessica Parker, accept your rejection, Mason Roth. You will regret that."

All three look shocked, and I toss Maurice his keys back, heading back home. "Get back." Mason yells.

"No."

"As your future Alpha, I command you to come back."

"No." I begin running.

"Get. Back." He yells.

I stop, turn around. "Say it. I dare you. I dare you to take it back. "

"I was going to say stay away."

"I will. I Jessica Parker, am no longer a part of this Pack." I begin running home, to pack the meager belongings I have, but before I reach the steps, my phone buzzes, letting me know I have a text message, from my best friend, Alex, no, it's not short for anything.

Alex: Ayye, where are you?

Me: Doing something I should've done a long time ago.

Alex: That is?

Me: Leaving this place. Once and for all.

Alex: Want me to cover for you?

Me: Please.

Alex: There's a jacket in my closet, get it, and wear it. It'll cover your scent, in case you shift.

Me: Thank you, Alex. I'm sorry.

Alex: Don't be. And I have some news.

Me: What?

Alex: James and I are getting married, and I'm pregnant.

Me: Congrats!

I finish the last of my closet, shoving it all into my suitcase, covering it all in Josie's gross perfume, and walk to Alex's house.

Alex: Thank you. I've got to go, Mr. Ferguson is suspicious.

Me: Ttyl. :P.

I walk into Alex's walk-in closet, pulling out the jacket I know she was talking about.

It's a white leather jacket, studded collar with braids running up the seams.

It fits perfectly.

I head out the pack, heading south.