Chapter 21

Maggie woke up in the middle of the night. She watched Steve sleeping next to her, his chest rising and falling. She knew she loved him, but she also remembered loving Bucky too. She sighed, sitting up on the bed. All she could feel was adrenaline flowing through her. She got out of bed, changing into leggings and a sports bra. She went down to the kitchen to find Bucky sitting at the counter, "James."

"What are you doing up doll?"

She shrugged as she watched him turn on the stool to face her, "I couldn't sleep. Spar with me? Or run with me?"

He smirked as he stood up, pressing his body to hers, "I thought you preferred a different kind of cardio?"

She moaned softly, "I do. But don't tempt me."

He nodded, cupping her cheek in his hand, "are you okay?"

She shrugged, "I'm not sure. The serum just enhances who we are already right?"

He nodded, removing his hand, "yes. Why?"

She hesitated, "what about love?"

He crossed his arms, "what do you mean?"

She groaned, shaking her head, "never mind James. Maybe I should just go back to sleep."

She started to walk away but he grabbed her hand, pulling her back to him, "no. Wait. What is it?" He watched as tears started to fall down her cheeks.

"What if I made a a mistake? Choosing him so quickly."

Bucky shook his head, dropping her hand, "what are you saying doll?"

"I don't know. Just let me go back to bed before I do something I might regret."

He watched her walk away from him. He hesitated, but followed her into the dorm hallway, grabbing her hand as he led her to his room. He pressed her against his bedroom door, "something like this?"

She moaned as his lips crashed into hers, making her wrap her arms around his neck. She groaned when he finally pulled away, them both out of breath as he rested his forehead on hers, "yes. Exactly like that."

He groaned, "be explicit doll, what are you saying."

"I'm saying I want you James."

Bucky groaned again, "please don't play with me."

She shook her head, bringing a hand to his cheek, "you still kept the hair for me?"

He nodded, "for you." He kept his mouth hovered over hers as he felt less and less in control.

"I want you to take me to bed James. Please."

"You're confused. You're in love with Steve. You need to time to adjust. Go to bed, please. I beg you Maggie."

She shook her head, "I know I am. But I never gave us a chance. And you're the one that has been there the whole time. You saw me before anyone else did. You followed me. Maybe I was blinded by lust."

He groaned, pulling away from her, "or you are now." He turned away from her, "please, go."

She sighed before leaving his room for Steve's. He was still asleep as she slipped back into bed. She felt him pull her to him as he slept and she closed her eyes.

******************************************************************

Steve woke up in the morning to an empty bed, "Maggie?" He sat up, looking around to see she was gone. He got dressed quickly, finding her on the track with Maddy, running. He smiled, watching them both stop in front of him, "hey. You could actually keep up with Buck and me now."

Maggie laughed, "well yeah." She looked behind him to see Bucky coming up to them as well, "good morning Buck."

He half smiled, seeing she was wanting to forget the previous night. "Morning. Are we running?"

Maggie nodded, "yeah. I'll race you."

Bucky and Steve laughed, looking at each other as they watched the girls speed away from them. They were barely able to catch up to them before the girls crossed the line first.

Maggie laughed, looking at her sister, "I think that means the boys make breakfast." She started to follow Maddy and Bucky back to the compound when she felt Steve grab her arm, pulling her back to him.

"Hey. Good morning princess."

She smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck, "good morning Captain."

He moaned softly, "I miss you. I need you." Before she could say anything he had his lips pressed firmly to hers, making her moan softly as she felt his tongue urgently parting her lips. He pulled away, watching her, "that's the most you've let me touch you. Are you okay?"

She shrugged, resting her head on his, "I don't really know. I'm sorry Steve."

He shook his head, "don't be. It isn't your fault. It's mine. I'm sorry. I just couldn't lose you...even if I do now, at least you're alive."

Maggie nodded, not able to control the tears, "I know. I love you Steve. I do. I'm just confused."

He brought his hand up, trying to catch the tears with his thumbs, "confused about what love?"

She shook her head, not being able to admit her still lingering feelings for Bucky, "I don't know. Let's just go eat breakfast Steve."

He felt her try to pull away, but he kept her in place, "no. Not until you talk to me."

She groaned, "I don't know Steve! I love you. I know I do. But..."

"But what Margaret?"

"I'm in love with Bucky too!" She brought her hand to her mouth, instantly regretting the admission as she saw the look on his face as he released his grip on her. She turned to see Bucky and Maddy watching them, having heard the whole thing. She groaned, running back into the compound, hearing Maddy following close behind.