1 - Kidnapped

1 - Kidnapped

"Go! Get going! You'll miss your date!" My partner nods.

"Nah, I'm not going," I say, masking the hurt in my chest.

He stops typing on the keyboard. "What? Why not? You've been talking about it for the whole week! You were so excited."

"I'm not going because my lousy date cancelled on me five minutes ago." Pressing my lips together, I absentmindedly thumb through the DD5s on my desk, pretending that my answer does not bother me as much as it truly does.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," his voice quiets as he glances down at his desk.

"It's not your fault. Besides, these DD5s aren't gonna magically finish themselves." I shrug.

Everyone in the squad room has already left, everyone except me, of course. I have always usually been the last one out. Ever since I was young, I have kept the policy that what can be done now should be done now than later. Because my mother was a drunk, I would have to not only take care of myself but I would have to tend to her needs as well. Thus, it was a priority to complete all school work before she came home.

My eyes strain to stay open and I yawn for the umpteenth time. My head starts to dip, then I jerk it up again. Dang coffee is not helping! To my left, a door opens, so my attention snaps over to the direction of the noise. I see my captain stifling a yawn. Guess he was here the whole time.

He turns around and jumps back a little, startled that he is not alone. "What are you still doing here? Didn't you have a date tonight?" he questions.

"No, the jerk cancelled on me last minute, didn't even give me a reason." I sigh.

"Sorry to hear that." He frowns. "Why don't you go home?" The question is more like a suggestion.

"Ah, I will. I just have to finish some more paperwork," I reason. Although, "some" is an understatement.

"How much have you already done?" he asks, shuffling to my partner's desk. He sits down on the open space and folds his hands on his lap.

"Two stacks of paperwork," I state as if that is no deal.

His eyes widen out for a moment. "Woah! You need to get home!"

"I'm okay, besides the coffee's helping," I lie.

"Yeah, well, I don't want you burned out for tomorrow. Go home detective, and if you're in here before nine, I swear I'll have you arrested!" We both chuckle at his lighthearted, empty threat. My captain stands, pulls on his coat, and fixes his hat. He puts out his hand expecting mine to join his.

"Alright," I put my hands up in a surrendering position. "I guess neither Fin or Munch would wanna put up with Elliot. I wouldn't have enough energy to keep up with him," I joke and slip into my blazer.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, Liv. Have a good night," Cragen smiles as he picks up his brief case.

I walk out to my squad car when I realise my cruiser is flat out of gas! Great, just fantastic! I don't feel like bothering the precinct tank fillers. Besides the rookies tend to hang there, I don't need any jealous stares.

At least my apartment isn't too far from here. It only takes a few subways and a couple blocks before I'm snuggled in my bed. With a sigh, I begin to walk home.

Five minutes in, I see a car's headlights beaming behind me. My instincts shout for me to run, but I don't. Paranoid, much? I scoff at my hypervigilant thoughts.

Two car doors slam shut and I pick up my pace. The heavy pounds of boots on the ground makes my muscles tense. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would rather be overly suspicious than dead.