4. Pursuit

senirasushipping — because some battles are too important to lose

***

Crushes are a lot like wild Pokémon. You never see them coming. If you're not careful, you can really get hurt. And you can't wait too long to make your move, or someone else might turn up out of nowhere and catch the one you want.

Now that Elesa's reared her not-so-ugly head, I can't afford to waste another minute. Which is why I spent the entire morning holed up in my room with Gardenia and Maylene, trying on outfit after outfit until we found a winner.

Well, I tried on outfits. They sat around and flipped through channels and rolled their eyes at questions like "Does this dress make me look sophisticated?" and "Yeah, but more sophisticated than her?"

Whatever. It was worth it. In the end, we settled on a sheer white blouse over a matching cami, paired with a pale lilac skirt and sky-high heels. (Not quite five inches this time—I've learned my lesson. Four and a half is good enough for me.) As we make our way through the hotel lobby, I feel like I've just stepped out of a fashion spread.

Which is nothing compared to actually being in fashion spreads. But I'm fine with that. My days of trying—and failing—to compete with Elesa are over. Her face could be plastered across every billboard in Nimbasa, and I wouldn't mind in the least. Because I've got a plan.

I'm the one in charge here. So if I don't want Volkner hanging out with her, I don't have to let him.

Only I haven't quite worked out how I'm supposed to do that. I mean, I can't exactly institute a No Models rule, can I?

I'm wondering if No Foreign Gym Leaders would be any better when Maylene nudges me. "Don't look now, but he's out there on the patio. Second table on the left."

Too late. I can't look away. Volkner's not wearing his jacket for a change, and... Arceus. I still don't know what he does when he's "busy with the gym," but if it gives him arms like that, I'll never complain again.

"What are you waiting for?" Gardenia's already cheering me on. "Go talk to him!"

"Now?" After what went down with Elesa, I'm fearing the worst. "But what if he's meeting someone? What if it's her?"

She grins wickedly at me. "Then you'd better get to him first."

***

As I venture out onto the patio, I can't help but hesitate. With every move in Volkner's direction, yesterday comes flooding back. I let jealousy get the best of me. I acted like one of those token mean girls on TV. I said I couldn't keep my hands off him, for crying out loud. So it's no surprise that I'm having doubts about this whole talking to him thing.

Which is not to say that I'm nervous. I'm simply considering my options.

For instance, I could go right up to Volkner and say hi. That's one option. I could casually walk on by and pretend to spot him out of the corner of my eye. That's another option. Or I could turn and run. But then I'd never hear the end of it.

A woman in a hostess uniform taps me on the shoulder. "Can I help you?"

"No, thanks." I don't see what the big deal is. I've only been hiding—I mean, standing behind this potted plant for two minutes. "I'm just checking out the patio."

But Volkner's head jerks up at the sound of my voice, and before I can dart out of sight, he waves me over. Looks like I've only got one option now.

"Imagine running into you here," I say as I approach, in case he thinks I'm stalking him or something. "I was just—"

"Checking out the patio. I heard." He takes a sip of his coffee. "Have a seat."