Chapter 1

Maybe I wasn't the most punctual person in the world, especially for my eleven o'clock shifts at Starbucks. But, I had a legitimate excuse as I stumbled into the store and forced my way by old men dressed in Santa Suits, who found shelter from the light snowfall outside. They parted ways, sharing a genuine smile as I kinda pushed them out of the way. The creepers.

I ignored the look of the assistant store manager, Dara, as I threw on the green apron and forced a fake smile on my face as I seamlessly took the place of a disgruntled employee who had the shift before me. 

The level of sustain I gained from my co-workers since I started working there was something understandable.

"Here you go, mint blend tea," I said, placing the beverage on the counter.

The guy took it with a grateful nod and secured a place in the corner of the building, right next to the window. I envied the guy and his isolated situation because as soon as I turned my head to the side, I came face to face with the assistant store manager.

"Rosie..."

"Hear me out."

"This is your tenth time being late."

"I know, dude, but I do have a very valid reason..."

"Don't call me dude." The disgusted look on her face said it all. I followed her to the storage room and fiddled with my gloves. "Ten times late out of ten, a new record around this place. Having a 'valid' excuse every single time, well that's just not believable. You have to know this."

"It's the time of year not to see to believe, right?"

The girl's lips curled up into a sneer. "Next time you're late, you're fired."

I nodded. "Don't you want to know why I was late?"

She paused, for a moment. "Go ahead. Tell me why you're late. Be original this time."

"I don't know about originality," I said, wincing a little. "Look, ice is ice. It sucks, yeah? Black ice? That sucker will make you slide across the road, making you ice skate better than at an actual rink. Death? Possible. Trust me. I've nearly accomplished that at an actual ice rink. Black ice? Let's just say it's a Christmas miracle that I'm standing here in front of you."

"Rosie,"

"Yep?"

"Get back to work."

"Yep."

"And take off that...costume."

I spun around and diligently got back to work, serving all kinds of holiday-themed beverage orders. I began humming to the tunes blasting from the stereos on the ceiling and got into a groove where I was sliding across the floor and dancing my way through the orders.

At one point, there was nothing for me to do because I had gotten through the orders so quickly. People walked right on by the Starbucks after glancing in the window to see a full house of people, laughing, drinking and staring at their phone screens. When I made eye contact with Dara, I offered a smug smile and quickly looked away.

I tapped on my phone, keeping the gloves on because it was one of those gloves built for phone usage, apparently.

"Wow, hard at work I see," said a teasing voice.

"I'll have you know that I'm conducting research into your present." I looked up and offered a crooked grin. "What would you like, my judgemental customer?"

"My usual," she said.

"Right on."

I turned around and started making her white hot-chocolate. Then I heard, "You changed your password."

I glanced over my shoulder, seeing her accusing glare. "Obviously."

She frowned down at the phone. "You haven't gotten my present yet."

I sprayed the foam on top and stuck a straw in it because she liked it that way. "Haven't we established that already?"

"I've gotten you a present for all of winter."

"I've paid for all your drinks since December."

"It's December second."

"And you've ordered over seven drinks. You trying to make me poorer than I already am?"

She slowly looked away and took a sip of her drink. "Like I said, reap the benefits where you can."

I chuckled and leaned my elbows against the counter and looked up at her. "Did you come in here to torment me or was there anything you wanted?"

"The hot-chocolate for starters," she said.

"And?"

"To admire the present, I got you."

"Yeah, I've grown attached to these things," I admitted, staring at the multiple Peppa Pig eyes staring back up at me. "They saved my life this morning."

"I wasn't talking about the gloves, but please do go on."

My mouth dropped. "What present?"

She shrugged and turned around. "Clearly you don't appreciate it as much as I do."

I struggled to say anything. "Wait, Jennie, dammit."

Jennie pushed the door open and never looked back.

Dara walked by and yanked something off my head and tossed it into the bin by the counter. A massive, pink Peppa Pig Christmas hat laid there, looking far too sorrowful for me to leave there, despite the embarrassing morning of wearing it without knowing.