Merry Christmas Cordelia, 1991

24th December 1991

Gryffindor Common Room

Journal Entry

I never liked Christmas. Especially when the muggles sing Christmas carols. They're so redundant. I've gotten used to Hogwarts. I mean, except for having my own room and my own wand, which is Holly with a core of Dragonheart. I find it all kind of interesting. I learned Wingardium Leviosa with my newfound friend Luna Lovegood. Although she is in Ravenclaw we sit beside each other in the Great Hall. The other Gryffindors cast me out of their social circles because my father is Sirius Black. It's like, I'm a Gryffindor too guys! Hello? They just give me death stares. I've heard the whispers that they say about me on the moving staircases. They talk about my father and how I helped Draco Malfoy, a Slytherin. Fuck my life! I should transform and spend my days swimming in the Black Lake underneath the Slytherin Commonroom. It's my only safe space.

I began to sing Fear a Bhata and wondered to myself, Why me? before closing my journal and walking down to the Black Lake so that I could continue writing there.

I don't know why I swim in the Black Lake. Maybe it's the only thing that reminds me of home. Damn stupid secret! Why does my heart ache? Why me? Wait, someone is coming - I better stop writing and get out of here. I don't need another reason for Gryffindors to hate me!

I noticed that someone was lurking behind me, "What do you want Draco? How did you know that I was here?"

"I heard your voice. It sounds pretty when you sing, Cordelia."

"Why do you always have to do this to me every time I go to transform? Is it because I healed you? You just appear out of nowhere! Please, personal space."

"This is my lake you are invading, Gryffindor."

"Ok, you sassy Slytherin. It's not your lake. I just wanted to get away from the Christmas festivities and have a quiet swim until you showed up."

"Why don't you like Christmas? The presents? The food? The presents?"

"When I was with my aunt, we never celebrated Christmas. Although we do celebrate Halloween, Samhain, and the food on Halloween is pretty good. It's a lot of candy! Why are you here anyway? Aren't you supposed to be at home with your parents?"

"Well, my parents said I couldn't come home for Christmas after that damn McGonagle sent me to the Forbidden Forest with Potter. None of that was my fault, Potter gets away with everything and drags me along with him but my parents don't want to ruffle feathers with Dumbledoor so they left me here for the holidays."

"Yeah, Potter is the worst. The Gryffindors hate me. Even Hermione doesn't give me a second look and we sleep in the same dorm room."

"Granger?"

"Yes, Granger."

"Filthy little mudblood," he muttered to himself.

"I heard that! Speak up!"

"Uh, nothing. I just got angry. Why would you want to speak to Hermione anyway? She's just a do-gooder."

"Yeah, but she is an outcast, just like me. We're not pure-bloods but we are in the same house which makes sense. Where are Crabbe and Goyle at? Neither of them wanted to take you home to theirs for Christmas?"

"No, I'd prefer not to go to their houses. We are friends but not that close. Not as close as you and that Quibbler girl. You've become inseparable. You do know who her father is, don't you?"

It's true, Luna and I have become very close. Even though she's in Ravenclaw. I find myself studying in the library with her. We talk about magical creatures and levitation. She's interested in my Selkie heritage and I'm happy to explain to her our lore and customs as well as songs and spells and like Draco, she also likes my singing voice. Plus we speak Gaelic to each other. Sometimes our dialects get mixed up because she speaks Irish Gaelic and I speak Scottish Gaelic but we speak English when we skip around the castle together.

"Yes, I do know Xenophilius. Luna and I bond over our outcast parents although she doesn't say much in public, and neither do I! Draco, is there any chocolate in your common room? I'm a bit hungry. I've been avoiding the feasts in the Grand Hall ever since the Christmas decorations have been hung. I haven't eaten anything in days. I've spent all my time here by the Black Lake in my selkie coat or just writing in my diary."

"Oh, you write? Let me see!"

"There's nothing to read. Nothing at all. I just want some company and somewhere to write my thoughts. Anyway, you didn't answer me. Do you have any chocolate?"

"I do but it's up in my dorm."

"I'll come with you to your dorm. Maybe have a pillow fight?"

"Uh, maybe not. You could wait here, I'll bring it back to you?" he looked around nervously and I knew then he would never acknowledge me in the Great Hall.

"We could go to the Forbidden Forest?" I offered, knowing that he had been there before and no one else would dare look for us there.

"How about I just bring it back down to the Black Lake when there are three stars in the sky? I'll meet you right here under the Willow tree."

"Fine, I will meet you under the tree then."