"Goodbye"

"The three hardest things to say." The mist curled around her face as she stood, eyes closed before the red and gold valley, face upturned towards the roiling clouds, her hair frizzled and wispy in the breeze. I stood entranced. 

"The three hardest things to say." She opened her eyes, gazing at me through pale blue eyes, as placid as a mountain lake and equally deep. "I'm sorry, I love you, and Goodbye." Something stirred within my chest. It burned, searing my soul, radiating outwards to my shoulders, down my arms, and to my fingertips where it shimmered and sparked. I could not breathe. 

"How do you say Goodbye?" She asked. She stepped closer, and reaching out with one hand, she took mine, and the touch set me ablaze, sending scintillating waves of rolling heat up and down my arm. 

"You say things like 'I wish it could be different' and 'I want you to be happy.'" And tears poured from the sparkling stars in her eyes, and still I stood, completely motionless, glued to the spot, unable to speak or think of breathe or hear. All I could see was her pearly face as she cried.

"'I'm not ready,'" She whispered, "but you're never ready to leave. How do you say Goodbye?"

"Ultimately, it's always 'I'm sorry, I love you, Goodbye.'"