6 | First Steps

"You're faster today."

Shinso wanted to celebrate.

For once the purple-haired, boy had outran his teacher. It was only by half a lap, but still, it was progress in his eyes. Apparently, Aizawa saw it that way too. Shinso was still out of breath at the end of it, though, desperately reaching for his water bottle and hanging on to a tree.

"I got some sleep," he answered between breaths before downing his water.

He separated from the bottle after a minute, in need of air, and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

He did, in fact, feel full of newfound energy after his time with L/N. It was just a thirty-minute rest, but it felt like an eternity was added to his life. And there was no better place to use all that energy than toward his goal of being a hero.

Aizawa watched him try to slow his breathing.

"Seems like a bit more than that," he acknowledged, glancing down at his student.

Shinso felt his face heat up as L/N's face popped up in his mind. Did he know? No. He couldn't have. And it's not like they do anything wrong....right? She was helping out a classmate. And he'd given her consent and everything.

Why did this sound like they did something wrong?

He went back to chugging the water, hoping the drink would cool his burning cheeks. Again, Aizawa watched him do so, but this time with narrowed eyes. He was definitely suspicious.

"I've just gotten a little help that's all," Shinso said, hoping it would end the subject.

Aizawa stared blankly before sighing.

"It's always good to accept help from others. While I don't discourage it, you mustn't rely on others to get you where you want. The only one with the power to make you succeed is you. Remember our deal. As soon as I see you not taking this seriously..."

"I know," Shinso sighed and poured some excess water over his head. "I know."

Aizawa made it quite clear that the moment he took his private lessons for granted, they'd end easily. He was giving up valuable time to help someone that didn't even pass into the hero course. Shinso promised he would never waste his time.

Yes, L/N and her adorable smile were distracting he'd admit, but Shinso had never wanted anything more in life than to be a hero. At the end of the day, that was his goal.

"Good. Now get up. I didn't give you a break."

"Yes, sir," he mumbled as he got up from his back.

Aizawa didn't even give him a chance to stand up before he sent a downward kick in his direction.  Shinso rolled away immediately but knew there wouldn't be enough time to celebrate his improved reaction time. He jumped away again, narrowly missing the capture weapon and the punch following it.

His true test would soon come. With L/N's help, he felt like things might actually go his way. A hopeful fire bubbled in his stomach as he charged at his teacher.

Aizawa's warning flew out the window as soon as Shinso entered the classroom the next day. His eyes had immediately drifted to her seat once his feet crossed the threshold of Class 1-C. And of course, the sun had to highlight her every feature as if she were a goddess reincarnate.

He was going to talk to her today.

L/N was terrible at math. Shinso wasn't. Strangely enough, this was his opportunity to talk to her. What better way to talk to a friend than by helping them out?