Chapter 1

Kokichi's POV

.

.

.

I could hear the sounds of the hydraulic press as it closed in on me. Oh god. Oh god. I was terrified. I knew that what I was doing was for the greater good, but-but I didn't want to die. I tried to shake off the feeling, there was no turning back now anyway. I closed my eyes tightly as I felt one last tear escape my eyes before I met my inevitable doom.

Good luck, Kaito. I'm leaving everything up to you from now on.

.

.

.

My eyes snapped open. I was... alive? I noticed an IV cord to the right of me. I'm in a hospital... so I survived. A nurse came in and noticed I was awake.

"Oh my god! You're awake! You're alive!"

Trust me, I am just as surprised as you are.

I opened my mouth to try and ask what was going on, but all that came out was an incoherent squeak. Wh-Why can't I talk? Panicked, I tried to talk again, but the only noise that left my mouth was just another string of squeaks. Why..? I knew I was moving my mouth correctly, I was doing the same thing I always did when I spoke back before I somehow wound up here, so why can't I speak?!

"Oh dear, you can't speak, can you? I suppose that was to be expected, though. I mean, you were in a coma for five months," The nurse said.

A coma?!

The nurse must've noticed my shock, so he filled me in on everything.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It was all virtual reality... it was all fake...

.

.

.

.

I was finally able to talk after some training and I was able to go to Hope's Peak for my third year... my final year of high school. When my nurse told me that I would be able to go there and move into the dormitory, I didn't really know how to feel. I had seen the rest of my season of Danganronpa, season 53, and I knew that Shirogane-chan was the mastermind. I knew that Momota-chan had died because of me. I knew that Harumaki-chan hated me until the bitter end. And I knew that Kiibo's true ultimate talent was the Ultimate Hope Robot (Author-chan over here totally didn't almost type Hoe Robot...). But the thing I knew most of all was that I wanted to see them again.

I wanted to see them living the normal lives they all deserve. I wanted to get to know Amami-chan and Akamatsu-chan a bit better, we didn't get to know them for very long after all. I wanted to make it up to Iruma-chan and Gokuhara-chan for pulling the rug out from under them. I wanted to prove to Harukawa-chan that I'm more than just a manipulative liar. I wanted to gain everyone's forgiveness for all the shit I said to them and put them through. But I knew that I didn't deserve their forgiveness.

That was when an idea popped into my head. What if it wasn't me that met them? I already look nearly unrecognizable plus my voice is much quieter than it used to be. On top of that, everyone thinks that I died in the real world, too. How hard could it be to just change my identity?

Once that came to mind, I asked my nurse to bring a laptop to me. I soon started teaching myself coding. It started out with me just playing on a site called 'Scratch', but I soon started teaching myself coding languages like Java, Python, and Javascript.

I eventually went to sites specially designed for hacking and practiced my skills there. Some months passed and one day, my nurse came up with a piece of mail in his hand. I opened it to find that I had been given the title of Ultimate Hacker.

A couple more months passed and I went to Hope's Peak Academy. I had convinced my nurse to pull some strings and change my name to Haruki Izumizaki.

I started rolling my wheels on the wheelchair towards the front entrance before someone stepped in front of me. My eyes widened when I instantly recognized the person.