The Princess of the Shadows

Propping herself on her elbow, Aelanor looked out to her sleeping companions. The horses were snoring peacefully in a makeshift stable, and Nimuel was curled up in a thick blanket; but Haz'th didn't seem to need one. He was sleeping on a pile of straws he had fashioned into a bed, and overrode all their objections saying that he is not able to feel the touch of dry grass, thereby, it didn't matter to him where he sleeps. Smiling slightly, Aelanor fell asleep in a comfortable sleep.

The crowing of the rooster woke Aelanor up. She could hear the cutlery clicking against the pots and pans, and the smell of fried egg wafting towards her and knew that Haz'th was already awake. She wondered how the rooster knew it was morning since there was no sun in the sky.

She wondered a while about the kid. He was the first and still the only humanoid they had met in this strange land, and the land itself was strange. According to Haz'th, people were scared of the ruler, but why would that be if she was so nice as he said. Also, people were scared of the Realm, and the reason was still unknown.

He looked familiar. Very familiar indeed.

After a hearty dinner of eggs, hams and mashed potato, they felt ready to face the day. Or the night, according to the sky. They started on their way, lead by Haz'th.

The journey was uneventful, and silent except the occasional conversation of her companions, in which Aelanor seldom contributed. Nimuel and Haz'th seemed comfortable with each other, and Khoral and Nexus spoke a language Aelanor didn't know.

"I have heard rumours too," Haz'th was saying, "but I have been away from the palace for so long. Our little village is isolated from the town, so even if the curse has affected the Realm, we are not aware of it."

 "So you don't visit the town?" Nimuel asked.

"Not much. We get everything we need in the village, since we hardly need anything," he chuckled.

"But you live alone. What about...?" 

Haz'th hesitated before answering. "I never knew my father. He was a traveler, and it is not very easy for him the cross the threshold of this Realm."

"But he did it once?"

"Yes, but he was unaware of his deeds then. If you commit something wrong without knowing, the barriers see the truth in your heart. After you realise what you have done, it becomes a lot difficult to keep your heart as pure."

"What does it have to do with visiting the Realm?" Aelanor asked.

"The Barrier of Truth, Aelanor, don't you remember?" Nimuel whispered.

"Oh, right."

"So, I don't know much about father, and I never bothered to ask. And as for my mother, well, she lives around the town," he said.

"That's great. Would we get a chance to greet her?" Nimuel asked.

"I am sure you would," he mumbled.

They returned to the clearing in the woods where they had first met Haz'th. The tall tree-palace looked exactly the same, only there was more disturbance around. It looked like there were shadow-people all around. It probably was day in this Realm, when the people would wake up and go to work.

The purple lights lit the path to the palace, and they walked on. Here and there they could see eyes turning to look at them, but most of them had no bodies. Even the ones who did have one, there were only faint, distorted outlines in various shades of colours- violet and black and indigo.

A while later they came in front of the tree-palace, which surprisingly took longer than they had thought.  The palace was towering, and buzz with the day's activities. Here and there they could hear the shadow creatures working, and whispering amongst themselves.

"This is the capital city of Shaleshah," Haz'th said, pointing at the tree-palace. "I will send word with someone."

He whispered in a language that none of the others could make out, and someone they could hardly see replied. As Haz'th was talking to the stranger, Nimuel and Aelanor looked around. Everything gave off the hint of something suspicious and mysterious, but none of them felt any fear.

"Princess Saayan has summoned us to the palace," Haz'th said after a while.

The three of them ascended the twinkling glass staircases leading to the Throne Room, followed by more eyeballs and shadows. Passing through an unlit room that could have been anything, they reached the main hall.

Bright lights were lit everywhere around them and instantly they knew it was for their benefit. The subjects around the throne manifested themselves into solid figures, but they looked weirdly translucent. They also seemed uncomfortable in the sudden light.

"Princess Aelanor Gaelemariel of House Zauarn, and Lady Nimuel Saeltheriel of House Franirinth of The Immortal Utopia. Welcome to The Realm of the Shadows," a voice boomed. 

They looked up to see the Princess sitting on a black throne in the far end of the room. She looked nothing like those around her, who simply looked like humanoids looking through a distorted lens. Princess Saayan looked like she was made of black smoke, with two white holes for the eyes.

"I am Princess Saayan. Come forward and share your concerns with us, and we will try to help as much as we can. But take heed of this: Nothing in the world is free."