Chapter 4

Ellie's POV:
I stand up and walk outside, I hear Thomas shout "Ellie wait!" I stop and turn around and see he's standing right behind me with his hand on my shoulder. "What." I say sharply. "I said I'm sorry!" "Your not sorry, you just told me you love me!" I continue walking, Thomas trailing behind me. I turn around to face him, walking backwards slowly. "Ok. Tell me my favourite colour." He looks at me for a second. "But you've never told me." he answers. "Exactly! We don't know anything about each other!" "Well then we can get to know each other. Come on Ellie it's not that hard..." "Not that hard! How do you think it feels being sent up in a cage with about 30 boys staring down at you and you being the only girl. People constantly talking about you. How do you think I feel huh?" I question. "Like, my name is Thomas..." He continues, completely ignoring me. "Kinda stating the obvious there." I mumble. "Well to be fair I don't exactly know anything about myself. I'm not lucky like you to have all my memories, none of us are!" He shouts. "You think it's a good thing knowing that we put them here?!" "What?" "Yes Thomas we watched them being sent up here." He stares at me. "I mean I watched them almost drown my brother, Newt!"

I look to my side and see Newt standing there about a metre away, in fact all the other Gladers are here too. I hear them whispering things. I turn to face him. "Newt I'm sorry I never told you before..." But he cuts me off with an unexpected hug. "I knew it." he whispers in my ear. "You did?" He nods. "Well I felt something but it was completely different to what Tommy feels for you..." He trails off as Thomas is frowning at him. "Yea, well it doesn't give him the right to tell me he loves me all of a sudden." I frown. "Don't you believe in love at first sight?" He questions. "Oh for goodness sake Thomas!" I shout as I storm off.

Newt's POV:
She storms off. "She'll take some warming up to." I tell Thomas. "Err, Newt." He whispers. "What Tommy?" I ask. "Ellie!!" He shouts running towards her. I turn around and see she's heading for the doors. Everyone starts running for her and I don't hold back. "Ellie stop!!" I shout. She keeps on walking. Everyone stops at the entrance, calling her to come back. She stands in the passage way in the maze. "Why should I?" she shouts and she carries on walking.

There's a sudden gust of wind. "The doors are closing." I whisper. "Ellie come back, your going to get trapped!" Gally shouts. "Better than being stuck there with you lot!" She shouts back at us. Thomas charges into the maze. "Tommy!" I shout grabbing for him.

Ellie's POV:
I'm suddenly lifted up and someone's carrying me back. "Get off me!" I shout pounding at his chest. I can easily guess who this is. I stop when I see we're getting closed in and he runs faster. I hold onto him closing my eyes as we squeeze through the small gap. I hear people sighing and shouting at me. I slowly open one eye. He puts me down on the floor.

Thomas. Of course it is. "Thanks." I mumble. He gives a small, half-hearted smile and walks off. Newt comes up to me and hugs me. "I'm so glad your safe! Never do that again Ellie!" he shouts, shaking me. "Im sorry. Why won't you let me leave?" I ask. "We're trying to keep you safe. It's not safe out there at night. I know that myself. We call them Grievers. Thomas killed one himself actually..." "How do you know? I thought only runners were aloud in the maze." "I used to be a runner Ellie." he says running his hand through his hair.