One

The Start.

Daylight filtered through the flimsy curtains cast a yellow glow to the room. The rapid sound of keyboard clicking set a calm rhythm that soothed the troubled writers. They peered into their monitors, some of their noses wrinkled in mild distaste at the words they typed. While some tugged at the roots of their hair at the lack of words.

It was a scene of intense concentration and dedication. Until a strange noise broke them out of it. 

Drew almost spat her lemonade on her monitor when her eyes caught on something. She cackled but stopped short when she noticed the annoyed looks her committee members gave her. With a sheepish smile, she ducked her head but her shoulders shook with mild mirth as she highlighted the word.

Sensing someone behind her, she turned to find Bailey with her arms crossed. "You disturbed my writing calm."

Drew smiled apologetically. "I blame this one."

She gestured for Bailey to take a look. As the Head of the Magazine Committee read the article, Drew rolled her shoulder, wincing at the tight knots.

She ignored the dull throb of pain as Bailey laughed. "I veto no on this one."

Drew grinned. "I think we should keep it. It will surely put everyone in a mood."

"And the Principal will have us removed."

"I think it's worth the chaos, don't you think?"

Bailey shook her head. "Contact the writer about this. It's a good piece. I would feel sorry for it not making the magazine just because someone couldn't pay for a good dictionary."

"On it." Drew gave her a salute, turning back to her keyboard. She was in the process of writing a short e-mail to the writer of that article when she noticed Bailey still standing there. Her fingers stilled in the air. "What?"

Bailey leaned casually against the table. "I need your help."

Drew cocked an eyebrow at that. "Bailey Reed, the school's writing protege, who can give our town's newspaper a run for its money, needs my help?"

"You flatter me too much." Bailey rolled her eyes. "We have an article pending and it's a big one. I want you to do it."

Drew frowned. "I think we had all the articles covered."

"We did. Mia was initially in charge of it but her laptop broke down and all her files got deleted. She has to rewrite all of them now."

"Ouch."

Bailey nodded. "Others are already struggling with their fill so you're the only one."

"Geez," Drew muttered. "Do you have any idea what it does to my self-esteem when you put it like that?"

Bailey laughed. "Is that a yes?"

"Gotta save the damsel." Drew sighed dramatically. "So, yes."

Bailey grinned as she clapped her hands. "Perfect! I will notify Mia to send you her notes."

"Who's the naked Rose for this Jack?"

"Emerson Kingsley," Bailey didn't comment on that lame reference, instead she fished out her phone from her pocket as it dinged.

"That football guy?"

Typing furiously on her phone, Bailey hummed in agreement. "The one and only."

Drew creased her forehead as a small detail flashed across her mind. "Didn't he get injured in the last game?"

Bailey nodded, not looking at her at all. She was still focused on her phone. "He is in the hospital currently. Don't worry, I already checked it on with him. He was cool with Mia visiting him so he will be okay with you too." 

Drew nodded slowly. Emerson Kingsley was a name everyone was familiar with. He was the quarterback of the school's football team. A saving grace, a few people might add. Covering his article would put some unwanted attention on her. But Drew didn't mind it. Not anymore.

"Okay, I will do it." 

Bailey just nodded, still distracted. Drew winced as she felt a sharp burst of pain radiating from her lower back. Deciding to take a break, she carefully stood up and was halfway across the room when Bailey called out.

"Oh and he likes flowers!"