Epilogue

Drew grinned big as the light from the camera flashed.

"We just graduated," Zach muttered, his eyes wide in disbelief.

"For the tenth time, yes, Zach." she rolled her eyes.

People dressed in graduation robes were scattered across the gym. All wore wide smiles as their families took pictures, trying to capture the proud moment.

Some hugged each other tight, aware that the time had come to go on their different paths.

Drew took in every person's face. This was probably the last time she would see all of them at the same place.

"I am going to miss you," Zach whispered as he pulled her in for a hug.

Drew laughed. "We still have a week before you fly off to college, buddy."

"This graduation is making me quite emotional. Just play along, will you?" he mumbled into her shoulder as he hugged her tight.

Drew smiled and patted his back.

"We'll keep in touch, Zach," she promised as they pulled away.

"You say that now." he pouted. "But soon, we'll make new friends in college and then we won't have time to call every day. Add the assignments and presentations-"

Finding him endearing, she squeezed his cheeks together to shut him up and smiled. "As I said, we'll keep in touch."

"You better."

"I gotta go meet Bailey. Meet me at the diner in twenty?"

"I will go round up the others."

After exchanging short goodbyes, Drew stood on her tiptoes, trying to find the Head of Magazine Committee. She walked towards the crowd in the middle, hoping she would find her there.

There was a dull ache in her limbs but she ignored it. This was a day she owed to herself and she would do her best to endure.

Spotting Bailey, she hurried towards her but her foot caught the end of the robe and she tripped.

A hand wrapped around her arm and steadied her. She looked up to find Emerson, standing tall and proud in his robes.

"Hey." he greeted.

"Hi. Thanks for that."

He just shrugged it off as if it was no big deal. He took a long look at her robes. "Aren't they too long for you?"

She looked down at her robes. Or rather her best friend's robes. Drew had thought it would be a waste of money on new robes when her best friend who had already graduated from the same school had one at the back of her closet.

She had focused too much on saving money that she had forgotten that her best friend was tall. Taller than her.

"They are and I think I look better this way."

Emerson cracked a smile at that. "So where are you going for college?"

It was quite a sensitive topic for her but not something to hide. "I am taking a gap year."

Emerson just nodded, not prodding as always.

"What about you?" she asked.

"I still haven't decided yet. As long as I get to be on the field, I will be good."

Drew nodded, taking it in. "I hope to see you on the big fields soon, Kingsley."

Emerson grinned. "Me too, Peterson."

They shared a smile before someone called for him. He walked back to his friends and Drew glanced at his leg that used to be in a brace but not anymore.

Emerson had come a long way from that place and so had she.

It did take time but eventually, she had come up for air, breaking through the heavy fog in her mind.

It had taken a lot of effort but she eventually came to terms that it wouldn't be easy for her.

All she needed was to find comfort in the simple promise that life went on.

The End.