Chapter 8

ELIOTT

I stood outside the class room waiting, jumping up and down. I have never been this tensed and anxious.

"I passed." Matt came running towards me with his algebra test in this hands and the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. He took both my hands and placed the test in them.

"Oh my god, a C. That is so amazing Matt." I gave him the biggest smile but I wished I could give him more than that.

"I know, right." He stuffed the paper back into his bag, "And this is all because of you. Literally, Elliot I can not thank you enough." He looked into my eyes and said, "Let's go out tonight."

My brain froze for a second. Is this what I thought this was or was this just me overthinking. Did he just ask me out or he's doing this to be polite. Thousands of thoughts filled my brain making it very hard for me to answer. After 5 seconds of silence, he broke his eye contact and continued,

"I mean as a thank you to you for everything. For saving me from Ms. Mira's one more monologue of how useless I am. It would really mean a lot if you came." He looked at me hopefully waiting for an answer but after getting none, he continued, "It is okay if you have plans tonight. Maybe with Ro-"

I stopped him from finishing his sentence. I don't know why I did so at that moment, maybe I just didn't need to be reminded of the other part of life. Maybe I wanted this to be it but how could it be. This is not me, this is not what my friend and family thinks is me, this cannot be me.

"Yeah, sure let's do it." But again maybe this is me.

I parked my car and walked towards the restaurant. I stood outside thinking, thinking whether going in was alright or was it a mistake. I hate when my mind does this, I hate it went goes completely blank whenever I'm around him.
"Hey, you planning on going in kid?" a manly voice alarmed me.

I walked in and saw Matt sitting on the corner table, as usual. He caught my eye and shouted, "Hey come here."
I sat down in front of him, now my head was not full of a thousand of emotions. It was just one, I was just free. He sneakily took out a bag and placed it in front of me,

"What is this?" I asked.

"Remember last week when you told me how much you like the Beatles."

"Yeah."

"Well I was just walking past an antique shop and saw this so I thought you might like it."

"You were just walking past an antique shop?" I enunciated with an uncontrollable smile on my face.

"Just take it. You know, a thankyou to you."

"Matt" I said, he looked up at me "This is really one of the best gifts anyone has ever given to me. So, thankyou."

I could feel how nervous he was, the way his legs kept on shaking. I slowly moved my leg as it touched his, that seemed to calm him down.
"And Elliot" he said, "Happy birthday."

"Hey Matt?" the sudden voice shook me. I turned around,

"Oh my god, Nate. What are you doing here." Matt replied with glee.

"Uhm stalking you clearly."

"Elliot, this is Nate. My boyfriend."

Boyfriend. Matt has a boyfriend. Well, of course he does. What else did I expect, why should I even care.
Nate bent down and kissed Matt.

"I think I should leave now. You guys enjoy." Nate was beginning to retrace his steps when I said,

"You can join us. You know, I would love to get to uhm." I have never found speaking this hard. It felt as if a there was this striking pain in my chest and I just couldn't figure out why. I just wanted to get out of there.

"In fact, Matt thank you for this amazing surprise dude. But I have to head out now, Rome has something planned for me."

I stood up and got out of there as fast as I could

___________________________________________________