Chapter 3

I click my glass against his and smile before drinking the rest of my tea. I keep just looking at Jareth. The fact that I'm here with him is insane to me. I finish eating and I look back at him. He laughs lightly and stands up and goes behind my chair. He lays his hands on my shoulders and I turn and look up at him and smile. I stand up and I gently take his hand in my own. "What do you want to do with your first full day?" He asks this and I shrug as we stand in the dining hall, servants cleaning and coming in and out. "I was going to ask what you had planned for me." I laugh a bit and he begins to lead me with him. "Come, I'll show you my favorite areas of the castle." I walk next to him and look around at all of my surroundings. The castle seemed to go on forever, with different halls, rooms, and stairs. Some of these lead to no where some lead to beautiful and elaborate rooms, all I knew is how fast I am going to get lost. We make it to the throne room first and I look around, I notice the large open space, lit by natural light pouring in from the giant windows and lanterns placed all around the room. The room was mostly brick with the throne in the middle, there were areas that were taller and slower but the whole room looked regal but not traditional. I notice the balcony looking out on the labyrinth and a bowl full of crystal balls. I look over at Jareth as he admires me from a bit away as I take in the sights around me, almost like he is waiting for my approval. I motion for him to come to me and I walk onto the balcony and look around at the vast labyrinth below me. I turn back around and see he is waiting in the door way. I smile softly at him "I love this room, the view is incredible." He sighs a bit and I walk back to him and take his hands in mine and lead him to the balcony with me. "I have a question if you don't mind me asking." I ask him this. "I have answers for you." He smiles at me and I look out towards the labyrinth again, my hands on the stone railing. He is looking at me still. "How long has it been since someone came back here?" He looks towards me a bit confused. "I know I'm not the only person to have journeyed here, the person I got the book from told me to check on you and I don't understand how someone would want to leave once they came." He looks away from me when I look back at him and he looks down on the labyrinth. "Most people don't wish themselves away, mostly other people that they end up fighting for. That's what the girl you got this book from her name was Sarah and that's what she did. She wished away her brother and I was going to make him a prince, but she went through the labyrinth and left within 13 hours. Most people make it through, and rescue who they wished away. If not they join the masquerade." I nod understanding most of it, other than the masquerade part. "You are the only person in my lifetime I have seen who has wished for me to take them away instead of someone else." I look at him when he says that a little confused. "Really?" He nods and shifts his eyes towards me "I don't know why you wanted to be here, but I am happy that I have your company for more than 13 hours." I look away and sigh. "I can explain why I wanted to be here if you want me too." he carefully rests a hand on my cheek and I turn towards him. "If you are comfortable you can, but if you aren't ready yet that's okay too." I lean into his hand and look up at him. "I wasn't doing great, I wasn't doing as good as I wanted to in my hobbies and things I used to be good at, my grades were slipping because I didn't care, and I kept overworking myself at the last minute. But I realized that when I read your story I felt better, I felt a little less alone and lost. If you weren't real and didn't actually come to get me, I probably would have tried to write something that could help someone else like this story helped me. I didn't have to though, you came for me. " He looks at me with a sorrowful expression, his eyes looked as though he was going to cry. He moves his hand from my face to my waist and pulls me into a hug. I gasp a bit in surprise as he just holds me. I rest my head on his shoulder hugging him back and I look up at him. I am at a loss for words as I just hold onto him. I lay my head in the crook of his neck. "You don't have to be alone anymore Jareth." I whisper this to him and his grip tightens gently and he leans his head on top of mine. "You won't be alone either my darling." I feel small tears drip down my face, whether they were of joy or sadness I didn't know. He lets go of me and looks down at me. "We should continue the tour." He says this and I nod, he offers his hand and I take it in my own.

He begins to lead my through the castle again, showing different guest rooms, halls full of art, and small reading nook and rooms of historical value for this world that lead into a giant library. I look around the library in awe, there were books from the bottom of the wooden floors, up to the glass dome roof that was lined with beautiful hand painted artworks similar to an opera house's ceiling. I look around from the book cases surrounding me, to the grand stairs leading up to the second level of the room. The books surrounding me were both new, old, and ancient the only way I could tell was from the spines with the wear and tear that was exposed from the shelves. "Do you like it?" I am caught out of my awe by Jareth's voice. I turn and face him from the center of the room atop of the staircase and give him the largest smile I could. "It's wonderful, it's more than wonderful!" I say this as he walks towards me. He stops a little bit away from me. He just observes me, I watch him from my place on the stairs. He seems like he's at a loss for words as he just looks toward me. I feel my face go red and he walks towards me. He stops at the step below me. He is at eye level with me now and he takes my hand. "Jareth?" I whisper this and he kisses my hand. "I would move the stars if you wished, if you see anything you want changed anywhere just say." I feel that blush creep back on to my face and I look at him. "I am fine with everything here, besides, I thought you moved the stars for no one?" I ask him this and he smirks. "You are the expectation." We both stand there, looking at each other, the eyes really must be the window to the soul, we didn't stand like this for long but long enough to seem to understand each others feelings somehow. Jareth turns and mods to me before he walks back down the stairs. "Well, I have business I need to attend to, feel free to explore the castle and library." I nod and he looks back at me as he makes his way to the door. "Oh, and if you need anything, call for me." I wave a bit. "Okay, I'll see you soon Jareth." He nods back again and smiles at me before going into the hall. I look around, I heard his heel click against the floor until he to far away from the library to be heard. I stand in silence for a moment observing my surrounds, and listening to the sounds of the creak of the library, the chimes of glass and trinkets that are placed around the library moving slightly due to the air in the room, and the sound of my own soft breathing. This is really starting to feel like home. I walk around the library until I find a book that interests me, and I continue to explore until I find a small reading area with a love seat and a side table. I sit down and curl myself up as I open the book. I begin to read through the large book, which is about the history of this world, and I begin to understand more about where exactly I am.
*
*
Word count: 1551