Chapter 4

I sat and read in the library for a long time, I think it was a long time at least as I had lost track of time, and the piles of books around me were getting taller and taller. I understand more about the world I am now in better and more about Jareth too. I feel my eyes getting heavy as I am nearing the end of another book, but I resist the urge to sleep and keep reading. I think back to earlier today, the moments I kept having with Jareth. He was comforting me on the balcony when I told him why I really was here. The thing that keeps coming back into my mind is when he was standing in front of me, kissing my knuckles and promising me the world. I wish I could just tell him how I feel but it feels rushed and to soon with how he just truly met me. I end up closing my eyes and before I could register it I fell asleep. I woke up to my name softly being whispered to me. "Hello darling, I'm sorry to wake you." I turn, my neck stiff from how I fell asleep reading. I notice I'm still in the library but Jareth is kneeling in front of my chair as his hand rests on my shoulder. "When I never heard from you for dinner, and it was getting later I began to worry, but it appears you did a lot this afternoon and evening." He offers his hand that was on my shoulder and I take it and stand up. "Yeah, it was nice to just read and learn even more about here." I look at my messy piles of books. "I can clean these up and put them back-" before I can finish I get interrupted by him. "Nonsense, there is no need for you to when you are so tired." I smile a bit holding back a laugh at how overprotective he was about this and I carefully hold his arm. He leans down slightly. "Would you mind if I carry you back to your room?" He whispers this and I shake my head no as my body is scooped into his arms and I loop my arms around his neck. "I could walk Jareth." I say this in between yawns. He chuckles and holds me a little closer. "I doubt that my dear" I just hold onto him and sigh. We walk through the halls together, I lay my head against his chest as he is still insisting on carrying me because how exhausted I appeared earlier. He walks us for a bit due to the size of the castle, and we stay in a comfortable silence. I am lost in my thoughts, thinking about him and this world that I am part of now. I still have troubles believing this is all happening even though I know it is real. We start to approach the hall with our rooms and I realize that I should tell him how I feel. He has treated me like royalty since I have gotten to official meet him, and I have fallen hopelessly in love with him. I take a deep breath to collect myself and as we approach my door. "This feels crazy to say, but I love you. I know I've only known you for a few days technically but I can't even imagine being anywhere without you." I say all of this without a plan, and I realize I probably sounded corny and not genuine. Jareth stops walking and I look at him to try to read his expression. "I know we've kinda technically known each other longer but I just feel like I should tell you now instead of waiting." I say this fast and I look away from him after not being able to read his face. I feel myself get gently placed down on my feet and I look at Jareth. He puts his hands on my face and we just gaze at each other. "I have felt nothing but love for you since you first opened my book." He says this to me and I hug him. I hold onto him for a bit before I back away from him slightly just to look at his face again. He smiles and hugs me, holding me gently. "My love, I would live without the sunlight if it meant I could be yours." He says this to me and I feel myself blush and all I can do is start crying. He looks confused at my reaction but I just look back at him and smile and nod. "I love you so much...I didn't think you would want me." I whisper this through my tears of joy and he shakes his head. "Of course I do, you are the most wonderful person I've ever met." He wipes away my tears. "Now sleep my love, it's getting late." He requests this and before he turns to leave he looks from my eyes to my lips, I know exactly what he is asking and I nod. We share a soft, loving kiss. It was short but sweet. I run one of my hands through his hair before kissing him once more. We just hold each others faces for a bit, looking at one another processing what just happened. I feel my face flush and he smiles at my reaction. Jareth lets go of me and backs up. "You should sleep my love, don't let me keep you waiting." He says this softly and I nod. "Good night Jareth." I turn and go to my door and he does the same, we both look at each other once more before I enter my room. I shut my door and process everything that just happened again. I shake my head and get ready for bed.

I look around the room I am standing in and notice, it's not the room I was in at the castle but actually my dorm room, or what used to be my dorm. It was completely empty other than the small red book on the floor, left behind. I bend down and pick up the book. I flip it open and see a note. "You cannot stay in my world forever my love think of the consequences in your world." I feel myself get sick just looking at it knowing what it means and who it's from. I look around at the emptiness and my heart starts racing. How did I get here? I hold the book in my hand as I run out of the dorm. As I race down the hall, I see a missing poster with my face on it. I didn't even think about what would happen when I wished myself away. My old life was just left with everything the same, but I was missing. "My god...no one knows where I went..." I think this out loud and I look back at the book. Now I'm lost in my old college, without Jareth, and to top it all off I am considered missing. In a moment of panic I start whispering to myself. "Jareth, please take me again, please." There is no response or magically reaction, just the mundane. I notice people staring at me as I stand in front of my poster with the little red book whispering for someone to take me. The eyes of everyone around me see to tear through my back and sides and all around me. I fall to my knees and hold the book to my chest crying. "Why did he leave me?" I think this to myself and before I knew it, it was over. My journey with Jareth had ended just like that. The joy I've felt the past few days was completely gone as I sat on the cold tiles of my unforgiving world.

I wake up with a startled jolt. I compose my thoughts as I take a deep breath and look around. The lights turn on as if the castle knew I needed help, and with that I realize I'm in my bed, in the castle, in the goblin city. I feel relieved slightly but I feel overwhelming anxious. Do people really think I'm missing? Is Jareth going to leave me back in my world when he's sick of me? These thoughts pollute my mind and I think of all of the people staring at me, I can't have that again, I can't be lonely again. I feel myself cry a little. I never realized how lonely I used to be until I came here a few days ago. I get off my bed and look out the window. It is still pitch black out, no stars, just clouds and very few lights on below. I look at the time, two o'clock in the morning. I wipe my face a little, making sure the tears from my little breakdown are gone. I take another one deep breath and open my door and walk across the hall. This feels so childish and dumb, but I can't be alone right now. I knock on the door quietly and I hear soft foot steps and the door opens. "My dear, why are you up, is there an issue?" I look at him and take a breath. "This sounds so childish but I had a nightmare. It felt so real and I wanted to talk to you." He carefully lays his arms around my waist and just hugs me. I explain what happened and he sighs and walks me into his room and shuts the door behind him. "It's a whole story as to where you are now, I can place slight allusions on your reality in a way to make sure you are safe, so I made it so that people who look for you remember that you moved in with your husband and you forget to give out your new address." I nod a bit as he explains this, i attempt to look around the room but fail to due to the darkness. "You aren't going to just leave me, right?" Jareth carefully leads me to sit next to him. I still can't see through the darkness, but I can see his faint outline. "Of course not darling, I adore you I always will. I wouldn't give you up for the world." He kisses my forehead and I rest against him. "Would you like to stay here or return to your room?" I lean more towards him. "Can I stay, just to know you're here." He smiles and I hear a soft chuckle. "That's perfectly fine to me." He carefully lays us both down on his bed. I rest against his chest and he runs a hand through my hair and the other rests around my side. "I'm so sorry about this...I know I'm overreacting but I don't want to be alone anymore." I mumble this and bury my face in between his neck and shoulder. He holds me a little tighter after I say this. "I am never going to leave you alone again, I'll be there for you till the world falls down." He lays his head on top of my own. "Now sleep darling." I lay closer to him and feel my eyes flutter shut. I feel sleep overtake me as I drift to sleep to the sound of his heart beat and his chest rising softly.
*
*
A/N: Hello guys! I plan on updating this story more frequently! I'm so happy that you guys are enjoying this story! I originally was just writing this because I adore Jareth but I am happy to know other people love him too!
Word count: 1970