what happens on break stays on break

Chapter 51. What happens on break stays on break

I didn't see Axel for the rest of the trip. 

"Do you know what's wrong with Axel?" Cooper curiously asks me as Amber and I lay by the pool.

I didn't want to do anything except lay in bed for the rest of the time. But Amber somehow got me to go outside.

"No, I'm sorry Coop I wish I did," lying to Cooper hurt so much more than it should have.

"He's been out all day and night with Nolan and Grayson, he's really off, like more than usual," Cooper shrugs as he takes a seat next to me.

Amber changes the subject and diverts Cooper's attention to something else.

Before I knew it, it was our last day and we were all driving back.

I sat with Amber in the back seat while Axel and Cooper sat together in the middle.

We arrive at Axel's house somewhere in the early evening. We were supposed to arrive much later so my grandma, Miguel, and Jack were across town to bring me my favorite pozole.

"Want me to come over? We can watch movies all night and be sad," Amber whispers to me as the boys exit the car to unload the bags.

I shake my head, "Maybe tomorrow? I just want to be alone right now."

Amber nods, "I understand, let me know if you need anything."

We slip out of the car and I wave goodbye to everyone and they all wave back besides Axel who's leaning on the other side of the car. 

I walk to my house with my bag in hand and unlock my front door. I walk into my room without turning any of the lights on. I throw my bags on the floor and enjoy the familiar comfort of my own bed and blankets.

I glance out of my window to see Axel's open window and I feel the urge to cry.

Before I can, I flip the other way and within minutes I'm in a deep sleep.

-*-*-

I'm startled out of my nap by the sound of a slam. I turn over to see Axel's window now closed with the curtains down.

He hates me now.

-*-*-

It's been days and Axel and I have spoken. It was now our first day back at school and I wasn't looking forward to seeing him.

"So what did ms. mom say about the hair?" Olly asks Amber causing her to grin from ear to ear, "Well just as expected, she bought color remover, which was unintelligent on her end." Amber notes.

"How so?" Olly wonders and Amber giggles, "If I take this out I'll just do another color."

They both snicker as I stare into space at lunch.

"Let's go to Olly's house or something and watch movies tonight," Amber suggests.

"Yeah, we need to cheer this one up," Olly claims as he pokes my forehead with a cold celery stick.

"You look horrible, have you slept?" Olly asks and I nod, "It's all I do lately."

Olly's usually squinted eyes widen like a Tim Burton character as he looks at Amber then back at me.

"Alright, I'll pretend like that's not the most depressing thing I've heard today," Olly says before downing a chocolate milk carton.

 "I'm sure Axel is sad too," Amber adds and I fold my hands together to rest my chin on them, "Has Cooper said anything to you about it?"