Queen Bitch

"She has had so little time to learn her place." Edwina Deacon commented as she settled me beside her, on the sofa in the drawing room, presumably because I was bigger than her and would be awkward to manage on her lap. She was in her sixties, after all, and quite a small lady in stature, even if her character was large. I was not sure who had invited her to Sunday lunch but Mama did not seem overjoyed to have her company. "My Bella was distracted from her preparations for marriage by going to college, but other than those three years, she was under reasonable control, and she just needed a few months to smooth down a few rough edges, but Daphne had no education at all...you were precipitous in your decision at Easter, Helen...I am glad that you have seen sense now."

"My husband made the final decision, Ma'am." Helen replied as I met her gaze. Her pacifier had been removed when we got home, so that she could talk to our guest, and we had been put in the playpen in the corner of the room. But Mrs Deacon had asked to take a closer look at me before lunch was served by our new staff.

"Good for him...I really am very impressed with dear Colin...he is very sensibly grasping the opportunities presented to him...and he is taking a responsible attitude with regards to the education of your litter, Helen dear." Edwina said, sounding so superior. She was talking to Mama as if she was a child, and I did not like it at all, so I looked at Helen, imploring her to stand up for herself. Because that was what I intended to do, given half a chance. And in all honesty, without her help I did not see how I would get that chance. "I know that Barry and Elizabeth were concerned that you allowed her to leave the nursery too soon."

"It is so kind of you to take such an interest in my family, Ma'am." Helen said, not addressing Mrs Deacon as the friend she had been in the past, albeit an older friend. Edwina Deacon had always been around the family, since we moved to Meadvale, because of Bella. But Helen and Edwina had certainly been on friendly terms. Edwina was probably closer to Sheila Blackstone than Helen, because they were more of an age, but they were all part of the same set during my nanny days within the community. Edwina had always been the most traditional of the people I got to know, and she had persuaded her family to be very hard on Bella, who after all had done nothing wrong when she was brought back to the village. But she was the oldest, so I had just put that down to her being a bit old-fashioned, rather than extreme. Of course, Meadvale was extreme compared to the world outside our community. But I had fallen in love with the place, and rather liked the old-fashioned ways, and I had never really picked up on the extreme views of some. I had certainly never expected the little backlash against the liberal tendencies of people like Helen and Colin, caused by poor dear Nicola, to provoke such a fundamentalist response. And Edwina, who was related to the man I blamed for it all, Richard Ellesmere, was somehow one of the leaders of that response.

"Helen, dear...we all know you resented having to move back to Meadvale," Mrs Deacon sighed as she took my hand and gave it an encouraging squeeze. "Your family were always a little moderate...and like you, your parents moved away, of course. And you thought that you could come back and just go through the motions...to protect Colin's career...because the rest of his family...and the bank's board...were concerned, of course. It was very convenient for you that Colin's parents are settled in New York, because they would never have been happy with your approach, if they were here to see it day by day...but now, you have all the support you need to give your delightful litter the best possible start in life...ah, that sounds like Kieran and Sheila...how nice."

Helen and I shared a very meaningful glance as our other lunch guests arrived, with Miss Danvers letting everyone in and generally taking charge. Papa appeared, and took Mr Radcliffe into the other reception room for a drink, whilst Sheila Blackstone joined Mama and the odious Mrs Deacon, as I was starting to think of her. Mama and Sheila were dressed up to the nines as always, in sumptuous gowns, which just a few weeks before would have been unusual for both of them. Mrs Deacon looked thoroughly presentable, but rather more comfortable. Sheila had arrived sporting a pacifier, which Miss Danvers only removed when she was settled on the sofa next to Mama. "Thank you, Miss Danvers."