Prologue

London, 1816

 A stocky man stood before the huge mahogany desk, his head bowed in a sign of mortified defeat. “We couldn't find neither hide nor hair of them, Sir. Both the girls seem to have melted into the darkness of the night.”

The man sitting behind the desk moved not a muscle at this unwelcome news, and all that escaped his tight lips was, “Indeed, Stevens. That is…not good now, is it?” He was used to not betraying his emotions on his face, but there was that in his voice which made Stevens break out into beads of perspiration. The employer might believe that restraint under stress was what defined a gentleman, but he managed to intimidate people with only his stillness.

 Not so the younger man standing in the shadows. He strode forward on hearing Stevens’ admission and slammed his hand down on the table with emphasis. “What do you mean, man? They are only girls, and you guys are professionals! They could not have disappeared like that from the face of the earth!”

Stevens cringed back. A whining tone crept imperceptibly into his voice. “I don’t know what could have happened, Guv’nor. My men could trace them until Rothberry, as they had taken a hack till there from Holden Square. But the trail ran cold from there. No one saw them on foot, they took no known means of transportation, they have stayed no where that we can find. My men, however, continue to search.”

“That is good,” said the man behind the desk, forestalling the impassioned man beside him with a flick of his wrist before the latter could open his mouth again. He spoke in a calm voice, but steel crept into it imperceptibly as he continued, “Remember one thing. Finding them is very important, Stevens. Spare no expense. Post men at sea ports and posting-houses. Inquire at inns, search at family homes. Send investigators to every corner of England. You have the description; make inquiries thoroughly, but with discretion. Do whatever you can, but flush them out of their hidey-hole.

“And when you find either of them,” his eyes glinted, “let me know immediately.”