Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Rachel did not see the subject of their discussion the next day at either of the meal times. She gathered that Galatea was finally foaling and as the head groom, he was busy in the stables. But when the day came for the proposed shopping trip to London, she found him ready at the reins of the family carriage as she hustled the excited girls towards the vehicle. James being required at the house that day to help polish the silver, Mr. Fairfax was the only male escort on their London outing. He promptly leapt down to give them a hand, and gave her a half-salute when she smiled her thanks at him. There was no time to talk unfortunately, so she settled inside as the carriage set off smoothly on its journey.

What a great difference between this ride and her drive towards Carillon Hall, nearly a week ago! The Herringfords’ carriage was very comfortably upholstered, and they were almost in London before Rachel was aware of it. Of course, the amusing company was also greatly responsible for making the time fly. The three girls discussed what kinds of music they wanted to get in town, and Rachel was intrigued to hear that they were willing to try out different instruments instead of simply sticking with the pianoforte. Though she had never had any professional training with the violin and was wary of teaching it, she was adept at playing wind instruments and promised to look at beginners’ flutes in the shops for them.

An hour later, they could be found in the renowned music store London Chimes poring over endless shelves of sheet music and ecstatically trying out the various instruments in the display room. While Alicia quickly tired of the bewildering array and decided to stick to singing and the piano, Diana flitted from instrument to instrument with an awed look on her face and had to be literally dragged from the store.

“Oh but Miss Warren, just look at this Steinway over here! I have never heard such mellow notes from a piano before!” she gushed ecstatically. “And just listen to this – it is a mandolin, its strings are different from a violin’s and it creates this unique note…” Rachel let her chatter on while filing away this information in her brain for later, and decided to ask Mr. Herringford if a music instructor could be arranged for Diana – her interest seemed to verge on passion and deserved a better tutor than an amateur like herself. And unlike Miss Timbley, I am not ashamed to admit to the fact if my student’s future depended upon it, she added in her mind.

Finally they called Andrew to help them carry the several bundles of music into the carriage, and sat down with similar expressions of contentment. They had bought a simple bamboo flute and Rachel promised both the girls that if they showed aptitude for it, she will request their father to order a beautiful crystal flute like the one they had seen in the display window. As for the longing way in which Diana was speaking about mandolins, harps and violas, Rachel hoped that she would be able to give the little girl some good news soon.

Their next stop was in the store selling painting supplies and, while Diana sedately went to inspect the brushes and oil paints to replenish her own stock, Alicia looked like she was in her personal heaven. She was overjoyed at the different effects which she could gain with charcoal in her clever hands, and whipped out a silhouette of the London road visible from the window under the shop proprietor’s bemused eyes. The trio left the store with enough drawing materials to last her for the next several months.

Though Rachel’s heart bled to have come so near her family and yet not see them, she knew that she could not rightfully expect anything like that now when she was in charge of two girls. She reminded herself to omit any details of her London trip in her next letter to her brothers in case they failed to understand.

I will see them on Sunday, in any case, she told herself optimistically. She knew her mother missed her. Mrs. Warren’s letters were all kindly and optimistic, but still missing that spicy humour which signified peace of mind for her, and was a predominant characteristic of her letters in happier days. “Ah well, I should be happy for small mercies instead of asking for the moon,” Rachel told herself wryly. At least, she’s trying to remain positive.