Chapter 2 - The Escape.

Darryl

I spent all night planning the escape. I laid in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I don't know when the next time mother and father would leave. I could just go at night, but that would be risky. If they found me trying to get out, they would kill me. I had my phone which I could use to call 911. I think that's the emergency number? I can't exactly remember, but I do remember them teaching that number to me in school. All I can remember from school was always being made fun of and hurt. Kids would hurt me and say mean things about the way I looked, talked, or smelled. Then, one day, I was pulled from class and never went back. I wish I could go back, maybe make some friends. Or tell someone about the horrors that happened at home. Maybe then my siblings and I wouldn't be in this mess. I decided to try to sleep on it. If I attempt to escape and fail, Mother would kill me. If I get out successfully, I don't know what will happen.

Todays the day. I've been planning this escape now for about two weeks. I think? I don't know anymore. The only thing I know is that today's the day. Mother told me that they were going out tonight, and are going to a hotel overnight. That gives me the time to get out.

After my Mothers speech about my siblings and the house, I waited thirty minutes before running into my sibling's room. They looked horrible. They weren't chained up for once, but they could barely stand up.

"I'm leaving." I said before they even noticed I was in there.

"Are you insane? You've seen what Mother does to us, once she finds out your gone she'll hunt you down and make your life a living hell!" My sister said with a panicky voice.

I shook my head. "Don't say that word." I sighed before focusing on what I needed to do.

"I have to get you guys out of here. I've been planning. I have the phone to call for help."

My sister stared at me like I was insane. I was. Not one of us three had ever had the guts to leave. My sister took a deep breath before saying,

"Fine. But please, be careful. I don't want anything to happen to you." She stood up from her brother's bed where she had been sitting, watching him to make sure he was okay. She hobbled over to me and hugged me with tears in her eyes.

"Please come back to get us. We won't last without you."

"I promise I will." I say before breaking away form the hug and stepping out the door.

"I love you guys. Be safe." Tears filled my eyes as I shut the door behind me. I didn't try to think about all the injuries I saw on my siblings. How dirty the room was. How skinny they were. I didn't even know about me, but I didn't care if I died. I just cared about getting them out of here.

I watched out my bedroom window until it started to get dark. I knew Mother and Father weren't home, but I didn't want to take any risks. There was an alarm on the front door, so the window was my only option. After fidgeting with the locks a bit, the window opened. The fresh air hit my face and I took a deep breath. I patted my back pocket to make sure I had the phone, and then I climbed through the window. I stepped onto the soft, damp grass. I crouched down and ran my hands through it. It had been years. But I was finally out. The wind blew against my bare, wounded skin. I stood back up before walking down the block, looking at all the houses. It was weird finally seeing the neighborhood for the first time even though I've lived here for so many years. I reached the end of the block before pulling out my phone. I crossed my finger as I typed in the three numbers I prayed were the right ones. The phone rang a few times before someone picked up the phone, a deep voice saying just a few words that made tears form in the corners of my eyes.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"