chapter seven | parents

BRANDON ALEXANDER

"I'll be right back," I tell Mae as I go to see who knocked on the front door.

I can tell that she is already completely annoyed that she has to use crutches for at least a few weeks.

Despite being such an active person cheer is important to her and she had important competitions coming up for cheer.

I pull open the front door and see both of her parents in casual outfits.

To be fair Mae isn't wearing a nice outfit either so it makes sense. "My parents are in the dining room if you would like to head over there," I tell them.

"Thank you, honey." Mae's mom says and then the two of them head towards the kitchen.

Considering Mae is my best friend I don't know her parents very well. I don't think that her dad wanted a kid, but I know that her mom loves her.

I walk back up the stairs to my room. "That you your parents, just so you know," I tell Mae and she nods.

"We don't have to go down yet. I doubt that dinner is going to be done for a while." I tell her and she sleepily nods.

"Hey, missy, I thought that you weren't tired?" I ask her with a raised eyebrow.

She just ignores me and flops herself against one of my pillows. "You can't sleep now. Dinner will be in a bit and I know that you don't want to look like a little mess at the table." I tell her, which is true. She hates looking like a mess in front of anyone. She doesn't leave her room in the morning before she is ready for the day.

She especially will not look like a mess in front of our friend's parents or mine.

"Fair enough." She says and leans up, rubbing her eyes. "You should do something with your room?" She says all of a sudden, looking all around my room.

I raise an eyebrow suspiciously. "What do you mean?" I ask her, still a little bit suspicious.

"It's so boring." She says with a groan. "It's just so plain, and boring. It needs a little bit of something added to it." She says while rubbing her hands together (kind of evilly) like a witch.

"Yeah, sure. Why don't you critique every part of my life?" I sarcastically ask her.

"I am." She smugly says. "Anyways. Can I pleaseeee redecorate your room?" She asks me in a cute voice.

I mean I have been meaning to do that.......

"Sure. I want new furniture and stuff though." I tell her. "Yay. I've always wanted to decorate someone's room but I have never had anyone to do it to." She says.

It makes my heart kind of happy to see how she excited is about simply redecorating a room.

"I'm so excited. I'll tell you when I start." She tells me and stands up off of my bed.

"Okay. I'll give you my card for whatever you want to buy." I tell her and she nods at me.

"BRAN!" I hear my mom yell up the stairs at me. "WHAT?" I shout back down at her. "DINNER!" She yells back up at me.

"Let's head down," I tell Mae. I know that she has this entire 'I'm independent and don't need anyone else's help' thing going but she shouldn't be walking up and down the stairs, and struggling so much.

"Let's go. I'll carry you down the stairs." I tell her and she looks at me skeptically and shakes her head no.

"Yes. You are not going to hop down the stairs like a rabbit." I tell her.