chapter thirteen | surprised

MAE HUNT

"So." Jenny starts and stops talking at the same time. "So?" I ask her, a little confused. "We need to get the guys back before it's too late," She tells me and I nod. "True. I'm bad at thinking of ideas though." I mumble, looking down at my nails.

"Hm. Oh, we could do something like ice water over the door prank." She says and I nod. "That's a good idea. Definitely. We would just have to figure out where and when." I say, thinking out loud. There is no way that I would have thought of that.

"If you want to stay overnight you can," I tell Jenny. It's currently Saturday, yesterday was when Brandon came over and comforted me when I was having my mental breakdown. I don't know what happened but everything that I have been stressed out all caught up with me at the same time.

He left my house so I could take a nap yesterday and I FaceTimed him this morning. We have plans in the morning even though he won't tell me what we are doing.

All he told me is to dress nice but not too nice and warm. If that isn't something a guy would say then I don't know what is.

"Okay. I don't think I have any clothes left here though. Can I borrow some stuff?" She asks me and I nod.

"Of course. It's not actually that late so do you just want something to wear to bed or some real clothes?" I ask her. We both planned on just staying here and not doing too much else.

It's not that late, only about 8. I hear my parents unlock the door downstairs and come in.

"Some clothes to wear to bed is fine since we are just chilling out anyways." She tells me and I nod, getting up to go to my closet.

I hear a knock on my door and assume that it is my mom. "Come in!" I shout. "Hey, honey, Jenny. Just came up to see what you are doing. Is she staying the night?" My mom asks me and I nod.

"Yeah," I reply and she nods. "Okay, I'll be downstairs then." My mom tells me and I nod. She probably saw Jenny's car in the driveway and might not have recognized it.

"Here you go," I say and hand jenny some Sofie shorts with one of my hoodies and some Nike socks.

"Thanks. I'll be right back." She says and walks to my bathroom. I start thinking about how I'm about to turn 18. Is that what it feels like to be old?

I head downstairs so that I can grab some food for us to snack on. I get both of us a Snapple to drink and I got some Oreos and chips for us to snack on.

I get back upstairs a few minutes later and see jenny back in my room, already changed.

"Snack time," I say and wiggle my eyes brows at her. "Ooh Oreos." She says and picks up the family-sized pack of them.

"So, what are your plans for tomorrow?" Jenny asks me as she stuffs an Oreo in her mouth. "I'm doing something with Brandon. I don't know what though." I say, starting to think about what it could be again.

"Huh. Weird." She mutters with a small smirk on her face. She's so strange sometimes.

"Wait, you know how when we were talking yesterday you told me how Brandon said that you shouldn't be cheering?" She asks me and I nod.

"Yeah. That little hoe." I angrily mutter. "I can't wait to see him tomorrow so that I can strangle him. He went to the gym before I got there for practice and told my coach that I wasn't cleared and that I was going to lie about it." I continue what I was saying.

"I feel bad for what he is going to go through tomorrow." She says and I sigh with a shrug. "Don't. He deserves it." I say, still mad.

He is still my best friend but I don't think he had any right to do that. My ankle isn't going to get hurt again, and even if there was a chance then I think that was my choice to make.