Chapter Two

Molly wiped the tear from her cheek quickly as she tried to regain her composure. No one could piss her off like Hunter!

'He's got to be the most stubborn man on earth,' she muttered to herself. She couldn't talk to anyone about Hunters' obsessive behavior without getting him in big trouble, and he sure as hell wasn't listening!

Feeling frustrated and alone, tears brimming in her eyes, she knew it was time to pull over and get a cup of coffee to gather her wits.

Pulling into the gravel parking area behind the local cafe she spotted the 1989 blue Ford pick-up truck.

Slapping the steering wheel hard enough to sting her hand, she said, 'that beats all!' knowing the Ford was "sick" Officer Gibbs' personal vehicle. No cup of coffee would be worth running into him in her emotional state, and giving him a well deserved piece of her mind! Gibbs, being the police chiefs' nephew and total suck up, that couldn't end well for her.

Putting the black & white in reverse, feeling more alone than ever, she left the parking lot in tears. 'When did it get so complicated?'

Thinking back to the academy four years ago where she first met Hunter, the first thing she noticed was his dark brown piercing eyes. The first class attended was an ethics lesson. Hunter sat to her left, fully involved in the group discussions on ethical behaviors, his strength of character shining through. The two were soon inseparable, pairing up for field exercises, target practice and lots of studying. Over the next sixteen weeks of training they became very close. knowing they'd eventually be separated after the course in Omaha was over, Molly was unwilling to commit to a sexual relationship. Sure, there had been some spontaneous kisses, heated moments and definitely unchecked desire on both sides.

Thee days before graduation the assignments and tests completed, the mail brought news that both had received job offers in Benson County, forty miles north of Omaha. Hunter had been offered a detective position due to his bachelors degree in forensic science, Molly a patrol position. Both were excellent opportunities and the pair was ecstatic! A celebration was in order!

Four years earlier- Omaha Nebraska

Hunter made dinner reservations at their favorite little Italian restaurant while Molly went to her room to shower and change. She chose a lacy black dress for the occasion. Sweeping her long blonde locks into a fashionable knot on her head, she gazed into the mirror wondering if it was time to take the relationship to the next level. After all, they didn't have to be separated now. Working in the same town sounded so perfect.

Excited, and very anxious to see what the night would bring, she looked through the peephole to see a gorgeous Hunter approaching her room. As she opened the door her heart skipped a beat taking in his exquisite maleness.

"Are you ready to go Molly? Our table will be ready in a half hour."

Hunter stood by the open door smelling of soap and aftershave. The blue sport jacket hung nicely on his broad shoulders, those incredible dark eyes taking in the beauty that was Molly. His breath caught in his throat suddenly.

"You look stunning!" He in a hoarse whisper. The yellow orchid in his trembling hands all but forgotton.

"Oh wow, that is so sweet! When did you have time to get it?"

Taking the delicate flower from him she realized his hand was sweating and shaking a bit.

"Thank you hun, it's perfect, talk about perfection, just look at you! Very handsome and such a gentleman too. What did I do to get so lucky?"

Hunters' smoldering eyes watched as Molly carefully pinned the flower to her dress, taking in the way the black lace clung to her slender hips, the shiny gold mane rivaled only by those bright green eyes made his mouth suddenly dry and reckless.

"We'll just see who's getting lucky tonight... " Realizing that he'd spoken out loud, feeling the flush devour his face, he took her hand leading the way to the open door.