Chapter 25

Samara Shaw.

The entrance was further than it looked.

My speed could not be compared to his. I ran and he walked, yet he was just a few seconds away from grabbing me. My legs were never strong and at that moment, they were the weakest they've ever been. My whole body was growing tired as seconds passed. It was the most unlikeliest thing to happen, that I successfully get to the front, but I had the will to keep running. There was only little my legs could do and every time I was hoping something would happen, something unusual that would take me out of the trouble I'd kept myself in.

Vince's foot steps because louder, he increased his pace and I, although was willing, couldn't go faster than I was. My thighs were aching to stop and so was everything in me. I could feel the cold air drying my throat and the sweat rolling down my face. That was the most my fragile body could do and I wished at that moment, I could transform to what I did the last time.

It was not long, maybe a second or two, when I felt a hand at my back and I was pulled backwards. His fingers were latched to my clothes and all my struggles were futile. He wasn't bulging, not the slightest bit. Even when I dragged my fingers down his skin in the hardest way I could, he was not affected the slightest. With my clothes, he pulled me up and before I could do anything, my feet were no longer on the ground.

That was the angriest I'd seen Vince. I could feel the rage and anger radiating off him just by his fast breaths. His lips were in a thin line and his jaw ticked. It was the first time I saw his eyes glow and it was not in the best circumstances. Vince was a few seconds away from doing something I would probably regret and by just staring at me, it was only getting worse.

"If you want to hit me, then just do it"

His expression changed when I said those words. What was once anger morphed into something something softer and immediately, he let go of me. It took less than a second to gain balance and immediately I did, I scurried away from him. "I'm not going to hit you Samara, I'm not a monster"

"But you're a liar, aren't you?"

"I don't know what he told you but I can assure you they're nothing close to the truth"

"Lies!"

That was all it took to trigger him and his emotion was back to what it was. He stood here quietly and from a distance, stared at me like a lion at it's prey. He did not say a word but I could feel all that was going on in his head, it was obvious in the way he looked. It was like he was trying his best to hold himself from lunging at me and tearing me apart. It stayed that way for a few minutes or more and frequently, I would hear the loud cracking onf his knuckles.

It took me back to the days I would stand before mother and the times I got punished for the slightest mistakes. At least, then I was sure of what would happen next but this time, I had no idea what Vince was about to do to me or what he was capable of. He sure looked dangerous but at the same time, I had a strong feeling he would not want to hurt me.

"Samara"

"Leave me alone. I know everything you told me are lies, I know I'm not reincarnated, I know this isn't an actual school, I know you bought me_"

"Good" His arms went behind his back and his expression morphed into it's usual one. Through the moonlight, I saw the small smile on his face. It looked harmless but was enough to send a shiver down my spine. I didn't realise how terrified I was until I felt my feet taking slow steps backwards. There was a urge inside to turn and run but there was not much I could do. Not when he would find me even if I hid in the smallest corner in the building.

Even if I eventually made it out of those gates and far away from the tall walls, which was quite impossible from the way it looked, how far would I go into the forest? How many minutes would it take before I get torn into pieces by an animal? I would be the strongest I could be and still wouldn't make it to the other side. I was stuck in here, I couldn't get out and I couldn't run away. It was at that moment I realised Accius' idea was the best option. I wouldn't go home and I wouldn't stay here either but at the same time, that was the only problem, there was no home for me. My parents had made quite a reputation that almost everyone knew who I was. I certainly would not be able to live behind a disguise for too long so one way or the other, I would end up right where I started.

"Good? That's all you have to say?"

"Yes, good. I did buy you. As a matter of fact, I was present at your birthday. I saw you in your magnificent scarlet dress, the ornaments around your neck and how you moved with such perfection, one would call you an angel. Innocent and pure. I paid thrice the price your parents asked and I was offered an opportunity to take you right there and then but I didn't. I let you stay a few weeks and instructed your mother to leave you to do whatever you wished. Then I had you brought here and made everyone make you believe you were in a school, just to keep you sane. Then I told you you were reincarnated. Why? Cause I had no idea what you were so yes Samara, I did buy you and all I've told you are nothing but lies"

I did not expect him to easily admit it and his admitting it only showed I had no power to do anything even when I knew the truth. I stood there like a statue, with no idea of what I could do or say at that moment. The person I felt was sweet and would stop at nothing to please me had turned to something else. Maybe Accius was right, Vince truly was thirsty for power. The only possible reason he did all he had was just to see me fall for his tricks and make him king.

"I'm not a monster, I'm doing this for the people"

"No, you're doing this for your_"

"Step away from the statue"

I abruptly stopped the steps I didn't know I was taking and looked behind me to see I was a few inches away from the statues. They were the ones I saw when I first got there. Grey tall figures of creatures like angels. Large wings came from behind it and covered half of its entire body. It had its head facing down, away from the sky and an arm up like it was guarding itself. I didn't know what they were or why he was so worried about them so my gaze went back to Vince who looked alert at my closeness to it.

"Why?"

"Just step away from it"

He took large steps towards me and out of fear I took a step back, towards the statue. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't out of panic and it was something I didn't realised till after it happened. My hand went straight to it's leg and out of defence, I held unto it for support. I shut my eyes waiting for the impact but all I heard after was Vince yelling my name. It was not clear what was happening till I heard a loud crack. My attention was immediately drawn to the statue and hurriedly, I took fast steps away from it. The particles of dust and sand blocked my vision as the air soon got polluted. I did not expect a simple touch to cause a whole statue to break and fall and those were my thoughts till I saw what I caused was more than destroying it. What I thought was a simple statue began to move. It was just it's hands at first but in the blink of an eye, it's wings were released. The blow caused an impact so great, the air took me off my feet and before I could comprehend the whole thing, I was on the ground. I'd never experienced a push so great neither had I been in so much pain. For a few seconds, my ear could not detect any sound and my eyes were filled with salty tears. What it felt like was a if I'd broken every single bone in my body and it was that way for long seconds before I slowly regained my energy. It was like what happened earlier when I jumped down the window, if not quicker. Although I was not completely healed when I got back up, at least I could stand on my feet again. The hit caused quite an effect and I got an amount of injuries but at that moment, that wast was least of my worries.

When I looked back to where the statue was, the figure was gone. Nothing remained of it besides the sand and stones scattered on the ground. Not in a million years would I have imagined that a single touch would bring a statue to life. Something in me was certain it wasn't always a statue. There had to be a reason why they didn't look like the normal ones and why they were all in positions like they were guarding themselves from something. I was not certain but all my thoughts and assumptions favoured the belief that it was once alive and something made it what it was.

"Get back inside" Vince said even before he was back up. The hit caused even more pain for him than it did for me and he was not recovering as quickly as one would think. He was slowly getting up but he could not stand yet. "Quickly, run!"

I did not worry about leaving him outside and the thought of it did not cross my mind when I turned to run away. I was not far away from the wide entrance of the building and in a matter of minutes, I had made my way into the dimly lit passageway. There was a feeling of safety knowing I was inside but it didn't stop my speed. I ran till I felt my legs go sore and when I finally got to the point where the candles had been taken out, I came to a halt. It was not far from my room but I could not run straight into the darkness. I couldn't do anything but stand still at that point and think of every possible idea my mind could muster.

"Astra"