forty seven

"if the future we've
dreamed of
is fading to black,
I will love you either way."

“Lia, what in the fucking fuck are you doing here?” 

I squinted my eyes when I turned around, trying to look past the bright neon lights around us, and found Nora standing right behind the seat I was sitting on. 

“Oh. Hey.” I said. The words came out in a slur. Or maybe it was just the loud music messing with my head. The music, by the way, was all sorts of wrong here. Who even chose those hideous, loud songs?

Nora was dressed in a black midi dress. It looked pretty on her. She opened and closed her mouth in disbelief, before gathering herself and speaking, “Hey? I thought you were in your house studying.”

I shrugged and gulped down another solo cup of something that was making me a little more than just tipsy. It tasted sour and a little too sweet. Dangerous, I knew that, but I didn't care.

“Lia, you're getting drunk again.” She lightly touched my arm with the tips of her fingers but I shrugged her off.

“Get off my back for once, Nora.” I grumbled, leaning against the kitchen counter.

She went silent at that. I thought she had left until I turned around again and saw her still staring at me. She was drunk, I was sure of that, but she still seemed sad. Who was drunk and cooped up on emotions at the same time?

“Lia, don't do this.” I heard her murmur quietly.

Clenching my jaw, I got up from the stool, stumbling a little, and started walking away from her towards the dense crowd. Nora gripped my arm and stopped me from taking no more than just two steps.

“Lia, come on.” She complained. “Let's talk about this. You don’t need to act like this...this stuck up bitch.”

“I don't want to talk.”

“I can't just let you go and get drunk when I know you hate that more than anything. I'm your best friend.” 

She seemed taken aback when I jerked my arm away from her hold and glared at her. “Piss off, Nora. I don't need your help. You don’t get me, that's what you told me. You don’t understand me, and I don’t want you to. Maybe you should get the direct message and leave me the fuck alone. Or do I have to spell it out for you now?”

I was heavily intoxicated, hearing those words as if they hadn’t even come out of my own lips. I knew I'd said too much. Nora looked hurt. I could see that too. And it was sick that it satisfied me for a few silent seconds. Until I started registering what I had actually said.

“Okay.” She said, taking a small step back, giving me enough space to leave. “Fine. I won't stop you.”

I blinked at her. Twice. My heart had started racing a little, I realised. Stupid, stupid, stupid.