fifty seven

"hold infinity in the
palm of your hand
and eternity
in an hour."

I woke up just as groggily as before

Though there were two major differences this time. The bright sunlight was right in my face. And two, Alastair was here too, sound asleep beside me.

It took me a while, but I soon realised that we both had somehow fallen asleep in the freaking balcony last night (or technically this morning?). Fortunately, all thanks to the sleeping-Alastair beside me, I wasn't as cold as I should've been right now.

I rolled a little, trying to pull off Alas's arm that was tucked around me without waking him up, only to find him pulling me a little closer. His head tucked into the crook of my neck and his bed head nearly tickled me in the face.

I huffed a little, not sure how to get up since I really needed to use the bathroom.

When Milo's head popped up from behind the balcony doors, I might've jumped with fright if I weren't laying down. He gave a little bark when he saw me and jumped up on Alastair, crawling over his stomach until he wedged in between us two.

I couldn't help but start shaking with laughter. That alone--thankfully--woke Alastair up. He slowly pulled his arm away and gazed down at an excited Milo with a small frown, before looking up at me.

Then he wrapped his arm around my waist again and hid his face, groaning. "Why are you laughing?"

I pushed his arm away and stood up hurriedly. "Nuh-uh, I gotta use the bathroom." And as I tried crossing over him to leave the balcony, he looked up again and passed me a rather wounded look.

"You can cuddle with Milo," I suggested, stepping outside the balcony and into his bedroom.

I heard him groan again. "You know I can't do that."

Right. The allergies.

"Well--" I got cut off when a phone started ringing from Alastair's bed.

It wasn't mine, I realised, when Alastair spoke up, "Can you get that?"

So I stumbled towards his bed and picked up his phone. It was his aunt's name flashing on the screen.

"It's your...aunt." I furrowed my brows as I walked back towards him.

Alastair sat up and made no move to take the phone from my hand.

"Why is she calling?" He asked me.

"Only one way to find out."

He sighed frustratedly. "But I just woke up." Almost on cue, the phone stopped ringing and when I looked down at the screen, I noticed three more missed calls from his aunt.

"Well, maybe you really should call her back," I suggested. "Maybe it's something...important." Iris didn't seem like a person who'd call someone thrice just for the fun of it.