prologue

The huge Victorian structure of Camberley Prep High stood tall under the night sky. The sky was dark, pitch dark. The reflection of the full moon danced along the clear blue ripples of the giant swimming pool.

Everything was quiet, eerily quiet. The soft howling of the wind died down. Not one leaf was rustling within the huge oak trees that surrounded the building. Even the birds were quiet. Everything was quiet.

The silence was haunting.

And there along the cool blue water was a submerged face--a serene expression across his features. It was a boy. One of the best swimmers of Camberley High.

Drowning; he couldn't breathe.

Dark black locks of his hair contrasted with the pale moonlight that illuminated his face. The prestigious school's olive green jumper discarded at the edge of the pool.

And there were smudges of red, like ink. Crimson red mixing with the water. Dark, crimson red haunting the transparent blue. The same red slowly swallowing the pale boy.

He needed air, but he felt so much at peace in that moment. He needed air, but he didn't want it.

Letting the cool water envelop and pull him under, he let the deep, crimson red cloud over his vision.

And it was still dead silent.

A hauntingly beautiful silence as the pale boy drowned.

I thought his eyes were blue. They weren't; they were a beautiful shade of grey.
A beautiful shade of silver.
A beautiful mix of black and white.

They showed so much and nothing at the same time. I wish I knew how to read them, his eyes.

His smile was way more breathtaking than those eyes. But he rarely smiled. When he did, it seemed to suck in every ounce of beauty from the surroundings.

It was just him that I could see when he smiled.

He was beautiful.
He was beautiful and rare, and sad, and broken.

Broken--just a little too much to be fixed.