Chapter 2: You Signed the Contract

"Why are you laughing like that?" Nishiki asked, concerned about her sudden change in demeanor. Did he just make a grave error that could spell doom for his life?

"Well, you just made my day." She has a mischievous smile on her face. As they stand there for a moment, him with his mouth agape, while she's chuckling all along. There's something that occurs that really sends a shock to him.

That would be his door exploding inward, nearly knocking his out. Actually, if it did hit him, then Nishiki would no longer be of this world.

"Stop!" She yells. "Don't sign her contract!"

"Ha ha, it's too late for that now." Tenka responds in mocking fashion. Somehow, she doesn't seem to care about the destruction of home.

"My door..." Nishiki said. He had plenty reason to be distraught now over everything unfolding before him. What was going on? Who were these people and what did Tenha want with him.

"I can't believe this..." The woman shook her head in disappointment. Judging from that bushy tails attached on her backside, it was clear she was also a kitsune like Tenha. Likely from the same shrine, he assumed. "Human, I'm so sorry that I was unable to stop this."

"Sorry about what?" With all this hectic chaos going on around him, Nishiki was unable to wrap his head around things. All this information going into his head was stressing the man out. In fact, why was the room spinning? His center of balance tipped over and for a moment, he needed to move his legs underneath him to prevent a fall.

Though, all his actions proved futile, soon the world around him started to get dark. Nishiki's body had caught up to him, having been pushed beyond its limits. Normally, he'd be in bed by now, but the delay along with all the stress forced him to have no other option but to pass out.

***

The next thing he knew, the man's eyes were opening back up to the world. It seemed he had been relocated in his bed, as the stiff mattress did little to relieve the pain from his aching back.

Was what happened just a bad dream? He hoped that would be the case considering the warning that woman had for him. And to be honest, the idea of fox spirit coming to him was ludicrous. "Ha... Hahahaha!" Nishiki laughed over how ridiculous the notion was. It must've been conjured up in his mind for some hope of excitement for something.

He looked at the clock. It was six in the morning, right at the same time he always got up from bed. Seemed that his normal schedule wasn't messed up at all. With all that was now known to him, he got up and headed to his bathroom to take a shower. Everything seemed pretty normal as he got a nice hot shower, his teeth brushed, and eventually suited up for a nice day of work.

After his time was finished in the privacy of his bathroom, it was time to quickly head out to pick up some breakfast he could eat while at work. At least, that's what he thought was going to happen. However, something in his living room caused a delay to his plans.

"Ahhh!" He screamed when he saw two foxes sleeping on the couch. How did these wild animals get inside his house? Nishiki didn't take long to think as he rushed towards his phone to call someone to help remove these animals. However, as he picked it up, the man was jumped from behind as the weight of a child landed onto his back.

"Hey, calm down will ya?" That voice, he recognized that voice. Nishiki turned his head to see Tenha standing on his back as he laid on the ground. She looked angry with him since he had interrupted her from a peaceful slumber. "Some of us are trying to get some sleep here."

"Please forgive her for being rude." The other woman also suddenly appeared out of nowhere. "Or don't. I know I wouldn't." When Nishiki looked back onto his couch, the foxes he had seen before had vanished. Were those two the foxes?