Chapter 12: If Today was Your Last day

After some time of arguing with one another about the level of responsibility Tenha deserved on the mess caused by her. The two workers did eventually wake up. They seemed to be nice about what happened and held no hard feelings towards anyone. According to them, it was only the second worse thing that had happened while on a job.

As curious as Nishiki was about what they considered to be the worst thing. He decided not to pursue that line of conversation. After that, the pair were left alone after those men left.

"I can't believe you." He snidely remarked after they left. "You had one simple task, and you find a way to mess things up."

"Hey, I was trying to be nice." She continued to defend her actions. "You keep complaining that I don't do much. So why are you getting mad at me now?"

"Maybe because you just nearly killed two men!" He yelled at her. "Ugh, and now I'm going to be late for work." Nishiki checked his watch. If he hurried now, he might be able to return to the office on time. Though the worst part is there was no hope of getting any lunch now. Even going to a convenience store would lead to him being late. "Geez, you really are a drain on me you know that?"

"Don't act like it's all been doom and gloom since I came along." She replied. The pair got up into each other's face. Though he had to lean down hard just to get down to her level. It certainly didn't do his back any favors. "I saw how miserable you were. It's why I chose you in the first place."

"You chose to swindle me is what happened." He responded. "You thought I was some poor sap who you could take advantage of by tricking me into that contract." Obviously, considering the situation they were in now. Her plan to do exactly that did work. "But you know what? I'd at least still have a normal life if it wasn't for you. Ever since you came along, it's been one thing after another." The man then went on to list all of the troubles she had caused him. "No matter what you say, it's hasn't been all rainbows and sunshine."

"The absolute nerve." She crossed her arms in defiance. "Would you rather I not do anything then? That way the two of us can just get erased from all existence?" Tenha challenged him.

"If it means ending my suffering from you, then go right ahead." He replied, not budging an inch.

"Fine, then this will be the last time we see each other." With that, she stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind.

"Fine." He spoke his last words of their conversation and began to return to work. On his walk there, the man was able to cool down a bit and come to the realization that he may have just signed his death warrant. Surely she wouldn't want to allow herself to die just to get back at him. Though he had no clue what impact being erased as a fox spirit had compared to a regular human. Assuming there were any differences at all.

If this really was going to be his last day, then should he be going to work? "Eh, I guess." Nishiki said to himself. While it seemed a bit ridiculous to be willing to just go about as if nothing was wrong. A part of him didn't think he was actually going to die.

After returning to his desk and making some apologies for being late to his boss, the man got to work. As he sat alone, Nishiki couldn't help but have his mind wander about. Usually he was diligent in concentrating and staying focused on the work at hand. Though one would forgive him considering the reason behind this.

If today really was to be his last day, then this was apparently his response to the classic question. His decision would be to not change a single thing about his schedule. What else was there for him to do? Maybe he could call his parents and tell them he loved them. But then that might raise a few eyebrows since he would come up missing the next day. He didn't want to be at the center of a popular web series for mysterious disappearances.