𝐈𝐈𝐈. 𝐀𝐋𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐎𝐅𝐈𝐄

III. ALFRED IS A SOFIE

"Everyone can't be rich, white, and privileged

"Everyone can't be rich, white, and privileged.."

  SEPTEMBER 4TH,
GOTHAM CITY, NEW YORK
CRIME ALLEY
GOTHAM CITY SUBWAY
  7 a.m.

SASHA ROCQUE WAS HUNGRY.

Her stomach roared so loud on the subway people started to stare. She leaned against the window as Mikey sat the next to her. He ended up spending the night and thankfully Sasha was able to sneak him out of her apartment before her mom or worst: her grandma.

    But Sasha didn't have food nor did she have money so she would have to do what she always did: suck it up.

    "I'm so sorry," Mikey said again, "I really don't know how it happened. I-I was do so well and then someone offered me a pill and I just...I couldn't say no and now...." He sighed.

   Sasha knew he was genuinely sorry but...

   "You still have to tell your parents," Sasha said tiredly, half-asleep. "You know that right?"

   Mikey was quiet for a few seconds, "Yeah, I know," he muttered.

Sasha groaned, rubbing her aching stomach. She could only hope her mom had enough to buy actual groceries, today was pay and hopefully even though Sasha knew it was unlikely she hoped her grandma got a job to help.

"Can I ask you something?" Mikey asked after a moment.

"Yeah?"

"I mean, Sasha I knew you're...low-income but I didn't know it was that bad."

Sasha frowned, "You've been over my place before."

"Yeah but it was never that bad before. I mean, sure you guys didn't have heating or anything but you don't even have a bed frame anymore or a comforter."

   Sasha shrugged, "We had to sell it to pay rent last month," she muttered.

   "You say that like it's normal."

    "Because for me, it is," she told him honestly. "I'm not saying I like living like that but there's nothing I can do to change that...right now...all I can do is just make sure my mom and I are okay."

Mikey was quiet for a few moments, "Do you want a loan?"

"No."