C H A P T E R 1 3

I woke up to the sun shining through the window, blinding me as I open my eyes

I woke up to the sun shining through the window, blinding me as I open my eyes. Then it set in there's an arm around me. Oh God not again. Please not again. I throw the arm off me and quickly move off the bed, crouching into the corner of the room hiding my face in my hands.

It can't have happened again, I can't go through it again I'm not strong enough to do it alone. The figure on the bed slowly stands up and inches toward me. I can't hear what he's saying with my heart beating so loud in my ears. "Stay away from me or I swear on everything holy you will never have any children."

"Talia, I need... down for me, I'm ... get Matteo I'll be ..." I could only hear parts of what the figure was saying as my heart is still pulsating in my ears.

I watch as the figure leaves the room, I take this time to run into the closet and hide behind the clothes. I hear the bedroom door open and someone calling my name. I hold my breath hoping they won't hear me.

I listen intently as they wander around the room, I look around for anything to defend myself with. Nothing. I curl my legs up to my chest and bury my head between them. It feels like hours pass when in reality it was only minutes. My breathing begins to quicken as I start to hyperventilate. I watch as a new figure approaches me, the other trailing behind. I start to cower away, "I'm sorry, please just let me go I promise I won't tell anyone." I watch as the two figures step back and start whispering to each other.

"Talia, I need you to listen to me, we're not here to hurt you. It's me, Matteo. I'm your brother. Can I sit next to you?"
I let out a sort of strangled sob. "Okay, okay that's fine, no worries I'll just stay here"

THIRD-PERSON POV:

Matteo and Luis looked at each other with concern.
"Bro, what the fuck did you do?" Matteo asked his best friend.
"Why do you think I did something? I came up here last night and she was breaking down on the floor so I sat with her for a bit, she fell asleep or at least I thought she did, I moved her to her bed she grabbed my arm when I was walking away and asked me to stay. That's it. I fell asleep next to her and then I woke up to her crying in the corner scared of me. I don't know what the fuck happened."

Matteo tried to think of what could make his sister like this. When Luis speaks up.
"I think she got abused."
"What are you talking about?"
"Talia, when I found her she was rambling on about being tortured and people using her."

He received a hum in response.
It was now Matteo's turn to speak, "and her back as well. Those scars weren't just from simply falling off a bike or the monkey bars, someone wrote things on her."
"Names. It was names and then each name had a number next to it."

Matteo walks over to his sister as Luis watches the scene, concern brewing in his eyes. He watches as Matteo crouches next to his sister and she instantaneously flinches away. He watches as Matteo reaches for his sisters shaking hands. He watches as Matteo tries to save his sister from her own mind.