20| Order Up

Waiters bustled by in a hurry as Grayson and I waited for a table. We were meeting his moms at a diner in town. The walls were painted a bright yellow, as if the sun had thrown up. For a small place in a small town, it looked newly renovated and up to date. Small vases of daisies sat on every white tablecloth. I stood close next to Grayson as people crowded around the waiting area. I leaned into his side as people pushed past and felt his hand cover the small of my back for a brief moment. 

Who knew breakfast in a touristy town on a Saturday during the summer would be so busy?

Even though we weren't far apart I could barely hear him over the clinking of dishes and morning chatter.

"I don't think we're going to get a table," he bent his head down to speak into my ear. 

All of the tables had been taken, it didn't look like we we're going to find a seat. We should have left earlier and reserved a table. 

I tried to speak over the volume, "What time are we supposed to meet them here?"

"One." He glanced at his watch, his brows pinching.

I grabbed his wrist and looked at the time. Five after one. We were late.

I surveyed the dining room for any indication people were leaving soon and saw hands raising over the sea of people, beckoning us over to their table.

Grayson spotted them and put his head down, "Oh god," he said as they jumped and waved from across the room.

I laughed in amusement, "They are nothing if not shameless."

"Lucky for me," he whispered under his breath.

We made our way through the room to their table. I made sure to stand behind Grayson, giving myself a few extra seconds to prepare. When we were only a few feet from our seats they jumped up and swe*

pt past Grayson, ignoring him completely. Both of their arms wrapped around me in a tight embrace. Too tight.

"You can't hug me if I'm dead!" I squealed beneath their vice grip.

Before they released me their familiar scent enveloped my surroundings. The smell of home. Vanilla and whatever sweet concoction Johanne whipped up this morning to bring Grayson. I held on to them tighter, almost as much as they held onto me.

Johanne pulled back first. Her black teased hair was the same as ever, probably since the 90's when it was popular. "Sorry sweetie," she squished my cheeks together before sitting down in the booth.

Susan released Grayson from her bear hug and joined her wife on the opposite side of the empty seats, leaving us no choice but to sit together. I looked at him as he gestured for me to go in first. It seemed nice, but it was probably so he could get out easier. His moms beamed in excitement across from the two of us, who sat in awkward silence. I still wasn't sure what they knew or how much he told them.

I looked back and forth between them sitting side by side. It's nice to know some things, and people, are a constant. Susan kept her ceramics art teacher look with her shirt that billowed and golden hoop bracelets, while Johanne remained in her 90's fashion.  

Susan folded her hands on the table, raising her eyebrows in excitement, "Andie I feel like we haven't heard from you in forever! How have you been?" 

"Oh good," I waved my hand dismissively, "the usual."

"How was Paris? I bet it was beautiful in the wintertime. The landscapes there would be spectacular with all the snow and lights," she gestured broadly with her hands.