Origin of the Void

She opened her eyes to a thick cloud of smoke engulfing her. The weight on her shoulders was enough to push her to her knees, cracking on the hard floor. Reaching up, she grasped onto the chains holding her down, feeling around for the end. Eventually, she found it securely fastened to the concrete ground beside her. Concluding that no amount of tugging could release her, the girl groaned.

The chains dug into her skin and continued to pull her closer and closer to the floor. Searing pain shot through her entire body. Something in her leg was broken and something else would also be if she did not find a way to release the chains and escape.

Breathing was coming faster and faster by the second until it escaped in a pathetic cry. She inhaled the thick fog, building up in her lungs and causing a coughing fit. Her lungs were screaming for air. She could feel beads of sweat building on her forehead as the temperature of the room rose like a furnace.

Well, well, well. Look who we have here. The voice took her by surprise because it was not only loud but commanding and held power. She found her shoulders arching faster, chains tugging harder than before like the sound of the voice had commanded them. Every bone in her body quaked with fear. The voice seemed unearthly, hollow yet full of revenge and violence.

"Who are you?" The smoke absorbed her words as soon as they escaped her mouth, drifting off into the darkness. Her voice quivered, but she tried to control it as she asked the voice, "Where am I? Why can't I remember anything?"

The deep voice merely laughed, a deep throaty sound that sent goosebumps down her spine and arms.

You mortals are so fun to play with. All you care about are yourselves and wandering around the Earth like it belongs to you while we have to hide in the shadows. Alas, it won't be that way much longer. You have a job to do.

The way it said "mortals" like it was not made her head hurt with confusion. But more importantly, she felt in her gut that she should not trust this voice. Her eyes searched for the source of it, but the darkness was too thick to see anything. The smoke clouded her vision and made her eyes water and sting.

"I want nothing to do with you!" she spat.

The voice yelled with rage, making the ground beneath her rattle and crack. Foolish girl! Don't you know bad things happen to people who defy me?

The chains holding her pulled down harder, bringing her face only inches from the ground. She gritted her teeth and pushed with all her might to not crumple under the weight, but her strength was fleeting. If she did not do something soon, she would shatter. Her arms shook and beads of sweat poured down her face, but she did not give up. Even though she did not remember where or who she was, the girl was confident that she would never yield without a fight.

Her voice strained as she spoke, "What do you want with me?"

The voice laughed again, but this time in a more profound, spine-chilling way. She could tell that it knew precisely what would happen and she was powerless to stop it. It had a way of taking all the hope and courage inside her and squashing it.

You will see in time, little girl, exactly how to help me. You have no choice but to obey. No one is powerful enough to stop me. Destruction will follow my every move and the world will crumble beneath my feet! Even now, I have been saving up my strength for a millennium and soon, I will be fully healed.

"Oh, is that all?" She tried her best attempt to laugh, but only a weak grunt came out. "Why would I ever help you if you are going to kill us all?" Her entire body shook from the enormous effort to stop her head from shattering on the ground. At any second, she would become a pancake.

You would be wise to hold your tongue and submit, Mortal! If I did not require your service, I would crush you without hesitation. Unfortunately, you are the only piece of the puzzle left to release me from my prison. And don't even try to betray me. I know your biggest weakness and I am not afraid to exploit it if necessary. Should it come to that, nothing on Earth can prevent me from hunting you down and exterminating you and everyone you love. Do as I say and nothing horrific will happen.

Her left arm suddenly collapsed, bringing her frail body flush with the concrete. She cried out as the chains continued to pull her into the ground. The sound of bones crunching filled her ears. There was no way to escape. Tears poured down her face when the realization of defeat hit her. The concrete broke and caved in around her body.

Her head pounded, bled, and her vision was going black quickly. Soon there would be nothing left of her. The last thing she remembered was the sound of the evil voice laughing before everything collapsed and went dark.