Chapter 28

Meanwhile, with Ink....

Ink bounced around impatiently in the original skelebros' living room. Classic had been working on the device for a few days now, and Ink was on his last leg as far as waiting was concerned. It felt like it had been an eternity since he'd lost Error, and he feared he was starting to forget him. He could barely remember their conversation about ending the cycle of creation and destruction, and was afraid that the longer he was without Error, the less he would remember about him. It frightened him to think that his memory would make him forget the person he fell in love with, and his mind immediately went to that night they'd shared their first kiss. He closed his eyesockets and melted into the memory, desperately holding onto every little detail. He sighed, his soul aching more painfully as he thought of those lovely, impossibly beautiful eyes....

"Hey, Ink."

The creator jolted as Dream walked out of a portal. They looked at each other for a moment before Ink turned away, knowing why the guardian was here.

"Look, I know I've been a little overbearing these last couple of days," he said, rubbing his arm guiltily, "but you really should let this go. Error wouldn't want you to obsess over bringing him back. It just makes his memory more painful."

Ink's expression grew spiteful, and he turned back to Dream. Standing, he puffed out his chest in an effort to look defiant, and looked Dream in the eye.

"You think I'm crazy. Hell, Classic thinks I'm crazy! But if I was out in who knows where, lost, alone, scared, I would want Error to come look for me. If he was in my position, he'd come looking for me, I know it! Even though he thinks I'd never forgive him, he'd still try to find me. I will never give up on him, Dream. I did that too often in the past, and I want to amend my mistakes."

With that, Ink turned away. Dream held his hand out, but hesitated. He had no idea Ink's guilt about Error could run this deeply, and it worried him. At length, he sighed. Sitting down on the couch, he folded his hands, and Ink followed suit. Together, they sat waiting.

An hour later, Classic walked in the front door, his usual, lazy grin spread across his face. Ink bolted out of his seat, hoping for good news.

"Welp, I finished it."

Ink gasped in delight. "Great! What are we waiting for?! Let's try it!"

"Hold up," Classic said, holding a hand up to halt the creator. "We need to do a test run. It's pretty standard procedure for this stuff, so we need a volunteer. And not you, Ink. We need to know if it's safe enough to use."

Ink's face fell in disappointment. He looked to Dream, who was looking down in thought. Who could they volunteer as a test subject?

Just then, Blueberry popped out of a portal. He went up and pecked Dream on the cheek, then greeted Classic.

"HELLO, FRIEND CLASSIC! IT IS NICE TO SEE YOU AFTER SUCH A LONG TIME!"

"It was literally yesterday-"

"REGARDLESS, I HAVE COME TO SAY HI TO CAPTAIN. WHERE IS HE?"

"Out training with Undyne-"

"GREAT! I SHALL JOIN THEM!"

"Berry, wait." Dream stopped his partner before he could leave. Talking his hands in his own, Dream looked into Blueberry's eyelights. "Do you know anyone who could volunteer to try out Classic's device? He made it to track down Error, though I still don't think we'll find him."

Blueberry grinned gently and squeezed Dream's hands.
"DEAR DREAM, YOU WORRY TOO MUCH. I AM SURE CLASSIC HAS DONE WHAT HE CAN TO HELP, AND I BELIEVE THAT INK IS CORRECT. WE WILL FIND ERROR, BUT ONLY IF YOU STAY POSITIVE!"