nine - the call

richie woke up in a hot sweat; he had just been dreaming. richie usually had very strange, intense dreams. this one was no exception. he was running around a sphere that kept turning, like a hamster in a ball except on the outside. he was barefoot, and holding an empty cardboard box. the whole area around him other than the sphere was sky blue, no clouds or birds. richie had no idea what this meant. he knew some basic dream meanings, like dying meant its a new step in life or being naked in public means you're insecure. he knew a couple, but he was no freud. richie often remembered his dreams for a long time, unlike most people who forgot them just after they wake up.

   he suddenly remembered what he had to do today– go over to eddie's house. he had hoped that it would go smoothly. what's the worst that can happen? he thought. richie got dressed quickly, and sped down the stairs. his mother was in the kitchen making breakfast, and before richie could retort she handed him a piece of toast. he reluctantly stuck it in his mouth and let out a muffled, "thank you." (though it sounded more like, 'hnk ou'.) before rushing out the front door. he grabbed his bike and started to eddie's house. it was somewhat early, just before 10 o'clock, but richie wanted to catch eddie before he was gone somewhere else. you know, just to be safe.

   the cool morning breeze caught his hair, pushing it out of his face as it flew behind him. it had gotten rather long, he hadn't had a haircut since the beginning of last school year. to hell with haircuts anyway– he felt much cooler with long hair. richie speed along the terribly paved road. no one ever paid attention to the roads that weren't the main streets.

   rich finally got to eddie's street, and turned the corner to make it into his driveway. he parked his bike leaned up against the fence. he took note that the car was parked, meaning that eddie's mother was probably there. he let out a small groan. richie checked himself in the side mirror on the car, making sure he didnt look like a complete mess and therefore ruining his first impression on mrs. kaspbrak. for his outfit, richie opted for a much more preppy look than he would ever have worn on his own accord. he put on a band tee, and a plain black button up along with a basic pair of jeans. not that preppy, but still much more toned down than normal.

   he stepped up to the front door, and nervously knocked. richie stood there, waiting. he finally heard feet shuffling, and the doorknob turning. a short a stubby woman stood here, looking a mix between grumpy and confused.

   "may i ask who you are?" she asked. richie started to speak, "hi. i'm a uh- friend of eddies." he said, stumbling. he almost let out a stutter, and felt a lot like bill.

  "i've never seen you around before." she said, looking suspiciously at richie. he felt her stare daggers at him, analyzing every inch of his person.

   "oh, well.." he thought for a moment. "i met him last semester of school, i just hadn't gotten a chance to come over." he said. richie almost felt like lying, but he figured if he was caught, eddie's mom was the last person he would want to be mad at him. a few more seconds of her staring into his soul, and without a word she turned to face the house behind her.

  "edward!" she yelped, startling richie. "you have a friend at the door." she turned to look back at richie. "what was your name?" she asked.

   "uhhmm, richie." he said, trying to seem relaxed. richie's palms were sweating. he imagined this is what it was like to be interrogated.

   richie heard another pair of footsteps– this time much lighter ones. from behind the shadow of mrs. kaspbrak, richie saw a darkened figure that was obviously eddie. mrs. kaspbrak shuffled out of the way, but not before snatching eddie up quickly and giving him a tight squeeze. eddie looked suffocated. after she finally let go, eddie walked closer to the edge of the door, looking embarrassed. richie didn't comment on the hug.