Chapter Three

"So Jennie's gone?" Dinah asked Courtney over the phone the next morning.

"Yeah she wasn't there when we got up."

"I was really looking forward to getting to know her more."

"Me too. But we may have an issue."

"What?"

"So last night Pat and your dad talked to this guy that approached my mom about the Zarrick's collection the city has in storage."

"Why would someone be interested in that?"

"Exactly! That's why Pat and your dad went to see him. Pat says he's the Shade."

"Wait, you mean the Shade that helped the ISA and killed Dr. McNider?"

"Yeah."

"And now he's in Blue Valley wanting to look at the Zarrick's collection. But why?"

"We don't know. We need to get the others though so we can tell them."

"If you want, I can tell Rick and Beth and then I'll meet you and Yolonda when you guys get out of school?"

"Yeah that sounds good."

Later that afternoon, Yolonda, Courtney and Dinah were walking down the street when they saw stop signs fly down from the sky. 

"What in the world?" Dinah asked as her, Yolonda and Courtney ran over to Mike who was across the street.

"Mike!" Courtney exclaimed.

"Oh hey! Guess who's the new member of the Justice Society of America? Me."

Suddenly, a purple being popped out of the pen Mike was holding.

"You mean us." It said.

"You didn't tell me you took the pen with the rest of the JSA stuff." Pat said later at the garage.

"I forgot about it." Courtney replied.

"I told you it was dangerous. Somebody could've been killed."

"Well you should've told me everything about it in the first place. You know, been specific."

"You gotta be real specific with the wishing. Let me tell you about that." Mike said as he leaned back in his chair.

"No. No more wishing." Pat said to Mike.

"But Mr. Dugan, if this genie really grants wishes, maybe it can fix the goggles." Beth replied.

"Or help us find the Shade." Rick added.

"And stop him." Yolonda added as well.

"Trust me, he'd just cause more trouble." Pat responded.

"Me?" Mike asked.

"No, the Thunderbolt. Go ahead and give me the pen."

"No."

"Now Mike!"

"You're saying I can't handle it."

"Nobody can. I'm sorry Mike, I really am, but the Thunderbolt is just too unpredictable."

Mike gave Pat the pen but the pen kept popping back into Mike's hand.

Everyone starting chuckling.

"Call him out here, I want to talk to him right now. Alone." Pat said.

"Someone's in trouble." Dinah said with a chuckle.

Later on, the team and Mike found Pat in the garage.